Many organizations face the challenge of containing overall IT spending while supporting new business requirements. As they work to contain costs, organizations must also position themselves for the future. While they devote significant resources to maintaining existing IT investments, they still depend on IT to forge new business models, seize new opportunities, and adjust to changing markets.
More than $1.5 trillion is spent each year on IT, and on average, 80 percent of the IT budget is spent to operate and maintain existing solutions, leaving only 20 percent to create new business value.
Microsoft server products strive to help organizations meet these challenges by facilitating efficient operations and providing the ability to quickly adapt to changing business needs. The Microsoft Common Engineering Criteria (CEC) program establishes a set of engineering requirements to improve integration, manageability, security, reliability, and other critical infrastructure attributes that can help organizations add IT value and contain implementation costs.
Our server products are designed to share engineering capabilities, management tools, and common architectures. So although each server product can be used effectively on its own, it can provide even greater value as part of an integrated system.
For More Information
This document explains the motivation for the CEC program, the process for establishing and delivering common engineering criteria, technical details about the requirements, and the compliance details of the Microsoft server products.