SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business provides a complete data management and business intelligence platform, and is licensed to operate in a small-business environment of 75 or fewer users or devices. It offers your customers:
- A trusted, productive and intelligent platform for their data.
- A secure and reliable database for their mission-critical applications.
- A productive platform for both application development and database management.
- The new Policy Based Management (PBM) framework, which simplifies database management and enhances DBA productivity.
Preinstalling SQL Server 2008 offers the following customer benefit:
Because of customer decisions that must be made at the installation time, SQL Server 2008 is not preinstalled as an application. As an added value to your customer, you can include the installation files and documentation on a local hard disk. This makes it easier for your customer to install SQL Server 2008 without searching the DVDs for the proper installation files. Installing SQL Server 2008 from a local hard disk can also save your customer time, because the files do not have to be copied to the hard disk from the DVD during installation.
To preinstall SQL Server 2008, use the following steps:
- Create a directory at <system drive>:\SQLServer2008. The "system drive" is normally the C: drive.
- Copy the contents of the SQL Server 2008 installation media into the \SQLServer2008 folder.
- Create a desktop shortcut to <system drive>:\SQLServer2008\Setup.exe. Name the shortcut Install SQL Server 2008.
- Create a document on the desktop and name it Installation Documentation for SQL Server 2008. Add the following content: “Read supporting documentation about planning and installation of SQL Server 2008, and then follow one of the installation procedures linked below to run Setup for SQL Server 2008.”
Download SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business OPK (English) .img 3.25 GB
Download SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business Service Pack 1 (SP1) OPK
Available in 11 languages.
SQL Server 2008 planning documentation on MSDN:
SQL Server 2008 installation procedures on MSDN:
Return to top
OEM Preinstallation Kits are available for many Microsoft technologies, including:
- Operating systems
- Windows Services
- Other Microsoft products
Return to top
For additional information, see Microsoft OEM Preinstallation Kits.