Microsoft delivers improved corporate collaboration with enhancements to Entourage 2004Sydney, Australia, 21 September 2005
Microsoft Australia today announced the availability of Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 2 (SP2). SP2 introduces better corporate collaboration for Mac users by delivering improvements to Microsoft Exchange Server support in Entourage® 2004. In addition, SP2 provides updates across Office 2004 for Mac applications to improve product security and address issues identified by Microsoft and its Mac users.
“Office 2004 for Mac SP2 makes it easier for our customers to manage, create and share information in business environments across platforms,” said Jeremy Hinton, Product Marketing Manager, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft Australia.
SP2 expands on the Exchange Server functionality built into Entourage 2004 to deliver support for Mac users in an Exchange Server environment. Customers can benefit from improvements including:
- Better access to Global Address List (GAL) provides the ability to search multiple fields and browse the entire contents of the GAL. Users may quickly access organisational and membership information for directory entries..
- Multiple calendar and address book views allow users to have more than one calendar and address book in an Exchange Server account.
- Improved sharing features the ability to access and share Exchange Server address books, calendars and inboxes with co-workers. Users may set and assign folder permissions.
- Full delegation support now provides setup entirely within Entourage without using the Outlook® client on a PC, allowing users to give another employee rights to manage their calendar or access contacts.
- Enhanced public folder support helps enable quick browsing of the public folder directory and provides the ability to post directly to and synchronise public folders for offline access.
- Improved client-server synchronisation helps address reported data loss and duplication issues and generally helps improve speed and reliability.
- Account management tools send users password expiration notices to prevent lockouts and mailbox quota tools allow users to see the file size of each folder in their mailbox to quickly determine folders to archive.
SP2 also includes security updates and prioritised fixes for issues identified by Microsoft and through customer feedback. Microsoft monitors and receives customer feedback through customer support calls and tools such as Microsoft Error Reporting Protocol, which provides error data anonymously.
Customers will be notified and may download SP2 via Microsoft AutoUpdate beginning today, or can directly download SP2 from
- ends -
The enhancements to Exchange Server support for Entourage 2004 are compatible with Exchange Server 2000 and higher. Entourage users working in an Exchange environment may require the deployment of Update for Exchange 2003 (KB 888619) or Update for Exchange 2000 (KB 892896), both of which are available from Microsoft AutoUpdate or from the Microsoft Download Center.
Information technology managers can find more information about how to download and apply updates at
About Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit
The Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft is a leading developer of software and online products for the Macintosh platform. The group is composed of more than 180 full-time Mac product experts and is dedicated to creating innovative software for Mac customers worldwide. For more than 20 years, Microsoft has developed award-winning software for the Mac. Current products include Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac, a productivity suite that includes the e-mail application and personal information manager Entourage 2004, Word 2004, Excel® 2004, PowerPoint® 2004 and Messenger for Mac 5.0 and Virtual PC for Mac 7.0. More information about the Mac BU and Microsoft Macintosh products is available at http://www.microsoft.com/mac.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realise their full potential.
Microsoft, Entourage, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
For further information:
Katie Burford or Stephen Rodi
02 8281 3830 or 0407 626 150