||Remote access to the system is much more reliable which means I can work more efficiently even when I’m not in the office.
||Yvonne Desmond Executive Officer ASMS
The Association of Salaried Medical Specialists (ASMS) is a union of medical professionals with over 3,500 members, who are salaried medical and dental specialists mainly employed in New Zealand’s public hospital system. ASMS employs nine full time staff based in Wellington who represents the interests of union members, providing advice and representation.
As this central Wellington office services the needs of members based all around New Zealand, it is important all systems are up-to-date and running efficiently as the organisation relies on the server to support the majority of communications with members and stakeholders. With a large number of members, the membership database needs to be secure and well supported. ASMS team members often work away from the office so reliable remote access to the server is essential to ensure that staff are able to access information and maintain communications with union members and colleagues.
At the end of 2008, ASMS had outgrown its existing server hardware which had reached memory capacity and was approaching the end of its warranty. ASMS needed a scalable server solution that would provide stability, reliability and secure remote access and support the communications needs of the organisation.
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and Small Business Specialists, Quay Corporate, provided ASMS with a solution that would provide greater server capacity and more advanced features with the ability to easily and cost effectively extend the system in future.
Quay Corporate recommended an upgrade to Windows® Small Business Server 2008 which enabled ASMS to move to hardware that supports 64 bit operating systems with larger disk capacity and more RAM, increasing the overall capabilities of the server. ASMS also purchased Microsoft’s Software Assurance at the time of the upgrade to ensure the organisation can continue to extend its server solution cost-effectively and take advantage of ongoing Microsoft training and support and a range of additional benefits.
The move to Windows Small Business Server 2008 meant that ASMS could take advantage of Microsoft® Exchange Server 2007 and Microsoft® SQL Server 2008, providing users with advanced database management, improved remote access and enhanced reliability, manageability and security.
The upgrade to Windows Small Business Server 2008 has ensured that ASMS now has a stable and reliable system with the capacity to support future growth and enhance the efficiency of the business through improved communication tools and greater mobility:
- Greater efficiency. The server is faster and running more efficiently and server booting time has been reduced by 50 per cent.
- Reliable and stable remote access. “I frequently work from home and have noticed that the system has become much more stable. Remote access to the system is much more reliable, which means I can work more efficiently even when I’m not in the office,” says Yvonne Desmond, ASMS Executive Officer.
- Easier to manage. “I have found system management to be much easier with Small Business Server 2008. Migration was straightforward and problem free and it’s easy for us to administer the system remotely now,” says Greg Wratt, Quaycorp Senior Engineer.
- Increased security. The advanced security features of Windows Small Business Server 2008 ensure that ASMS’ membership data and email servers are protected from security breaches.
- Enhanced communications tools. Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 provides ASMS with improved communications features such as the ability to easily access e-mail over a dial-up connection or a low-bandwidth mobile network, and enhanced reliability and security.
For More Information
For more information about Microsoft products and services, call the Microsoft Sales Information Center at (800) 426-9400. In Canada, call the Microsoft Canada Information Centre at (877) 568-2495. Customers who are deaf or hard-of-hearing can reach Microsoft text telephone (TTY/TDD) services at (800) 892-5234 in the United States or (905) 568-9641 in Canada. Outside the 50 United States and Canada, please contact your local Microsoft subsidiary. To access information using the World Wide Web, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/
For more information about ASMS visit the Web site at: http://www.asms.org.nz/
© 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
This case study is for informational purposes only. MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN THIS SUMMARY.
Microsoft, Windows® Small Business Server 2008, Microsoft® Exchange Server 2007, Microsoft® SQL Server 2007, Windows Server® 2003 , and Microsoft® Office Suite 2007 are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.