ALAN, based in Yaroslavl, Russia, delivers a range of IT services, including document management, infrastructure consolidation, and data protection systems. A Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, it also has competencies in information worker and network infrastructure solutions.
Continued growth at the company resulted in a number of business challenges. Expenditure on hardware was increasing because the company had to buy more servers. In addition, managing and powering the server estate became more expensive and time consuming and the datacentre was running out of space. ALAN wanted to extend the use of virtual servers to reverse the trend. With more widespread virtualisation, the company could:
• Reduce hardware expenditure
• Consolidate physical servers
• Cut energy consumption
• Launch servers quickly and at low cost
• Lower server-management overheads with greater automation
After evaluating a number of solutions, ALAN deployed Hyper-V technology as part of the 64-bit version of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. Tests showed that Hyper-V supports up to four multiple processors per virtual machine to take advantage of multi-threaded applications. After a successful pilot programme, the company implemented the virtualisation solution in the live environment along with Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008. By deploying both solutions, the company can:
• Virtualise key applications such as Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
• Run multiple operating systems and applications on a single machine
• Maximise utilisation rates across the server landscape
• Centrally manage the virtual infrastructure and increase the speed of server provisioning
• ALAN has saved approximately U.S.$50,000 in server hardware expenditure by increasing the number of virtual machines.
• It has consolidated the number of physical servers by 50 per cent.
• The reduced server footprint has increased space in the datacentre for future expansion.
• Server utilisation rates have increased dramatically because virtualisation is more widely used.
• Thanks to Hyper-V and System Center Virtual Machine Manager, ALAN can provision virtual servers in minutes.
• With virtualisation technology, ALAN can scale its server environment at lower cost and plan server needs for the future more accurately.
• With greater automation of management tasks, employees can focus on higher value tasks.
This case study is for informational purposes only. MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN THIS SUMMARY.