Installing Product Updates
Product Updates are an administrative setting in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online. When new features are released, some are installed automatically for all Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online organizations, while others can be installed optionally through the Product Updates settings. Typically, installing product updates will install all the new optional features at once; selecting which features to install is not supported.
Once installed, updates cannot be uninstalled. It’s best to evaluate the functionality in a trial organization and make certain that it meets your business needs. Sign up for a trial organization.|
In the current release, Product Updates include these features, which can only be installed together:
- Guided process forms for Sales. This is a significant improvement to the user interface seen throughout Leads, Opportunities, Contacts, and Accounts. More information: Introduction to the new lead and opportunity forms
- Guided process forms for Customer Care. This is a significant improvement to the user interface for Cases. More information: Introduction to the Guided Case Resolution Process
. Yammer is an alternative to Activity Feeds—you can use either one, but not both. You’ll be able to collaborate in real time using social networking on your sales and service records; you’ll see updates from the system and be able to communicate with colleagues right in the work area. Introduction to Yammer
- Streamlined navigation pane. The navigation pane on the left side of the application has been reorganized and shortened, to make things easier to find.
- iPad support. Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online users can install product updates and access their data using the iPad. iPad is not supported on Microsoft Dynamics CRM (on-premises). This new user interface supports the features that salespeople need when they are on the go, allowing them to use their mobile device to update data and stay in touch while they make sales calls. For more information, see Using the iPad.
- Improved dashboards. Dashboards now include an activity history complete with a log of communications related to each user’s work.
Before installing the new guided process forms, we recommend learning about them and the pros and cons involved with installing them. More information: Turn on the new sales and service process forms, Work with Cases
Can I do this task?
This task requires the System Administrator or System Customizer security role or equivalent permissions. More information: Permissions required for configuration tasks
To install Product Updates
In the Navigation Pane, click Settings. Then under System, click Administration.
At the bottom of the Administration page, click Product Updates.
As the installation begins, you’ll be asked for confirmation. To confirm your intention to install, click Yes. You’ll then see a series of status messages as the installation progresses.
After the installation, you can manually migrate any supported customizations you might have made over to the new forms. Doing this will partially revert the appearance of the forms to the appearance they had before the update. More information: Migrating customizations to the new forms.
During the installation of these updates, the system will be unavailable. The system will also change for many users, so the updates are best done outside of work hours when functionality can be verified before users return to work.|
Update the form order to make sure that the new forms appear as the default. More information: Turn on the new sales and service process forms.