Requirements for Programming Windows Phone 7
Microsoft DreamSpark: Before we begin, for academics (student
or faculty) go to Microsoft DreamSpark (https://www.dreamspark.com/Default.aspx)
to sign up for an account. Microsoft gives out an impressive array of free software
(e.g., Visual Studio 2010) and other services (e.g., Windows Phone Marketplace registration)
for academics. Sign up an account to take full advantage!
As in programming for all mobile/portable devices, there are four issues to be concerned
with: valid IDE, Device SDK, Vendor Registration, and Device
Registration. All of the following steps are straightforward and can be
accomplished in real time (immediately). All except Vendor Registration, where personal
identity verification can take hours or days.
- Operating System and IDE: this
is integrated environment you will be working in. For WP7, you must work with either
Windows 7 or Vista (not XP), and for the actual IDE, you can work
Download and install.
- Device SDK: This is referred to as "Windows
Phone Developer Tools".
- Installation: installing these tools will cause WP7 API to be registered with the
IDE such that you will be able to create Windows Phone Games project in the
IDE. The other two important tools that will be installed are:
- Phone Emulator: for testing WP7 apps without actual device.
- Windows Phone Developer Registration: more about this later. This program
lets you unlock your phone device for development.
- Vendor Registration: for security reasons,
all mobile device vendors requires to verify your identity before allowing
you to develop for their platform. In WP7 case, this verification is built into
the Windows Phone Marketplace registration:
After registered with the Vendor, you are finally ready to register and unlock
- Create/Register an account with Windows Phone Market place (once again, you will
need a Windows Live login).
- To enable this account, you must:
- verify your email: your email address must be verified. Make sure you reply to the
email they send you.
- verify your identify: if you paid the $99 registration fee, an independent company
(GeoTrust) will contact you requesting the verification of some personal information,
alternatively, they will send you a letter (electronically) where you have to sign
and email them a photocopy of a government issue ID (e.g., driver license). If you
registered via DreamSpark, then, you must actively trigger the identity
verification process. Please refer to the end of this document (here)
on the procedure to trigger this verification process. Once all information is available
to GeoTrust, it takes them literally minutes to approve your account (personal identity
- Device Registration: WP7 device communicates
with the PC via the provided USB cable and the Zune software. To register/unlock
your device for development, you will need:
- Zune: verify/install the latest Zune software (
- Windows Phone Developer Registration: this is installed as part of the Windows
Phone Developer Tools (accessible on your machine via:
Start → All Programs→Windows
Phone Developer Tools
- Make sure your Zune is running, start Windows Phone Developer Registration
and unlock your phone with your Windows Live account.
The following can be particularly interesting
How to Trigger Person Identification Verification
(for registration via DreamSpark)
If you registered your Windows Phone Market place for free via DreamSpark. You must
submit a new application for verification to the Windows Phone Market place to trigger
personal identification process. Do not worry about submit and verification,
or if you do not have any application to submit. The goal here is to submit some
bogus application to trigger the verification process. The following steps will
guide you through just that, submit a bogus application.
As unpleasant and interesting way of spending one's time, I'd be polite in the filling
out the application submission request. Consider this: someone who has no control
and is at no fault over this process must review your submission as his/her job.
Venting your feeling at this person will not help.
- Login to your market place home page: you will see something similar to:
Notice the Pending identity unverified (Green Arrow,
upper left). We want to trigger verification to turn this into verified.
- On this page, click on the ADD PRODUCT button (Blue
Arrow, upper right)
- Fill in anything you want on the subsequent screens regarding your application.
Please refer to the resources in this zipped
folder (ResourceForSubmitDumbApp.zip), in particular, notice the images
with different resolutions and the .cab file. Use these resources as will
be necessary in your application submission process. Do not be overly concerned
over what you filled in, everything is bogus anyway.
- Submit your application for verification. This will trigger GeoTrust to
contact you for verification of your identity.
Computing and Software Systems
University of Washington, Bothell
Project home page:
The Game-Themed Introductory Programming Project.
This work is supported in part by Microsoft Research under the Computer
Gaming Curriculum in Computer Science RFP, Award Number 15871 and 16531, and Microsoft