Signing in the Microsoft account may fail if the phone date is not correct. It may also fail if the network connection is not working properly or if you are trying to create a new Microsoft account with a live.com email address.
Check time settings and network connection
- Go to Settings > date+time and manually set the correct time zone, date and time. Try signing in again.
- If the above action doesn't solve the problem, connect to a Wi-Fi network and try signing in via that network.
If you see a message 'Can't connect'
- If this happens during the initial setup, skip the account setup wizard by tapping sign in later.
- Update your phone in Settings > phone update > check for updates.
- Once your phone is updated, select Settings > email+accounts > add an account and tap Microsoft account.
- If you already have an account you use with Xbox, Windows 8, Outlook.com, Skype or another Microsoft service, then you should tap sign in. If not, tap create one. Complete the on screen form to get a new Outlook.com email address or tap use an existing email address.
- If you are asked to verify your identity with a security code, choose the verification option (text, call or email) and then follow the screen instructions.
If you get an error code
Use your browser, try searching online to find a support article for the error code.
If still not able to sign in using your phone, use your PC browser to sign in or create an account.