Open, view, and print Excel workbooks, even if you don't have Excel installed. This download is a replacement for Excel Viewer 97 and all previous Excel Viewer versions.
With Excel Viewer, you can open, view, and print Excel workbooks, even if you don't have Excel installed. You can also copy data from Excel Viewer to another program. However, you cannot edit data, save a workbook, or create a new workbook. This download is a replacement for Excel Viewer 97 and all previous Excel Viewer versions.
If the workbook you want to view is stored on Windows Live SkyDrive you don’t need to download a viewer. SkyDrive includes Excel Web App, which enables you to open the workbook in your web browser. If you have permission, you can even edit the workbook in your browser. An easy way to store and share a workbook on your SkyDrive is to send a link in Hotmail. Sign in to Hotmail, start a new e-mail message, and then click Office Docs to upload the workbook. A link to the workbook is included in the message, and clicking the link opens the workbook in the browser. For more information about Excel Web App, see Introduction to Excel Web App.
Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Windows 7; Windows Server 2008
- This download applies to the following Office applications:
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Excel 2002
- Microsoft Excel 2000
- Microsoft Excel 97
- The Excel Viewer is only available as a 32-bit application. A 64-bit version of the Excel Viewer does not exist. The 32-bit version of the Excel Viewer can be used on 64-bit versions of Windows.
To install this download:
Instructions for use:
- Download the file by clicking the Download button (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the ExcelViewer.exe program file on your hard disk to start the Setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
After you install this download, open a file in Excel Viewer:
To remove this download:
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the Look in list, click the drive, folder, or Internet location that contains the file you want to open.
- In the folder list, locate the file, or locate and open the folder that contains the file.
- Click the file, and then click Open.
To remove the download file, delete the file ExcelViewer.exe
File Formats Supported
- On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- In the list of currently installed programs, select Microsoft Office Excel Viewer and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to remove the program.
- Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.
You can open only Excel files (.xlsx, .xlsm, .xlsb, .xltx, .xltm, .xls, .xlt, .xlm, and .xlw). Even though you can open macro-enabled files (.xlsm, .xltm, and .xlm), you will not be able to run macros.
2010 Features such as sparklines and slicers will not display or will give messages explaining that it cannot be displayed. If you need to view these features, use the Microsoft Excel Web App available on SkyDrive.