The reason that the 5GHz WiFi band is disabled during flight (airplane) mode is comply with local regulations. There are regions in the world where the usage of the 5GHz band is not allowed to be used for WiFi transmissions. As the Lumia WP8 phones are unable to determine the location whilst in flight mode, the phones disable the usage of the 5GHz WiFi band in order to comply with regulations.
- Why do I see 'Critical update' notification on my Lumia phone?
- Will I get “Hey Cortana” voice activation after Lumia Denim update?
- What can I do if the latest Lumia extras are missing on my phone?
- I have forgotten Wallet PIN on my Lumia phone
- The glance screen content is black and the settings are blank showing only the header in my Lumia. What can I do?