Latest software update
software release for Nokia Lumia 520 is Lumia Denim (3058.50000.14xx.00xx/8.10.14219.341)
The availability of this update may depend on your network service provider. To check for updates, on your phone, tap Settings > phone update.
- Cortana, the most personal digital assistant, is now available also in the UK and China. New features for Cortana include improved natural language, car kit integration for contacts using Bluetooth, snooze reminders, and calendar improvements. Cortana even does character impersonations upon request.
- Organise and further personalise your start screen easily. Group apps into a folder on the start screen, rename the folder, and rearrange tiles inside the folder for greater personalisation.
- Updates to the Lumia Storyteller and Lumia Selfie apps. Available from Store.
- Connect and browse even faster with improved download speeds on mobile websites.
- Install phone updates more easily by scheduling them for a time that works best for you.
- Additional improvements to stability, battery performance, push notifications, WiFi connectivity, consumer VPN support, Apps Corner, merging and forwarding text messages, custom snooze times in the Alarms app, Store Live Tile (available in the US only), and more
Tips for a successful software update
Great stuff comes in big packages! Before starting, we recommend that you make enough space on your phone. You need to have up to 1.5GB (depending on phone model) free phone memory to ensure that the software update goes smoothly. To check the available free space, go to Settings > storage check. You can find more detailed instructions on how to clear up space on your phone from the Software update FAQs-section.
There can be several updates available for your phone, so you may need to repeat the process a few times to get to the latest version. Follow all the update prompts so that you don’t miss out on any of the latest goodies. To see your current software version, go to Settings > extras + info.
How to update software
Your phone supports wireless Over the Air (OTA) updates and there is no need for cables or a computer; you can simply download and install the update using your phone. Also, your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound. By keeping your phone software updated you can get fresh new features and improvements, and resolve many issues.
Step 1. Your phone notifies you when an update is available for you. You can also check for updates by going to Settings > Phone Update and tapping Check for updates.
- Tip! Use a Wi-Fi network to download the update and avoid mobile data transmission costs. Before starting the update, connect to a charger or make sure your phone has enough battery power (at least 50%). You might also need to make enough space on your phone for the update (up to 1.5 GB, depending on the phone model). To check for available free space, go to Settings > storage sense (storage check).
Step 2. To view and to install the updates, tap the notification message, and follow the instructions shown on your phone. You can install the update immediately, or postpone the update to a more convenient time.
Step 3. The update should take around 15-30 minutes, but a major update could take up to 2 hours to complete depending on your phone model. You are not able to use your phone during the update installation. Follow all the update prompts, and do not worry if your phone restarts several times during the process, that is completely normal.
Additional app updates from the Store could be needed to fully enable new features for your phone. You will get the app update notification on the Store app shortly after the software update.
From Lumia Denim update onwards, you can install phone updates more easily by scheduling them for a time that works best for you. You can find the Preferred install time option from Settings > Phone Update. Some of the phones now also support downloading updates to a memory card. For more information, see the Software Update FAQs section.
Software update FAQs
- I have forgotten my Microsoft account password
- How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?
- My Lumia does not start up or it stays at the spinning gears
- What if I have trouble installing an update on my Lumia phone?
- How do I check if there are new updates available for my Lumia phone?
Documents and files
MACDownload Nokia Photo Transfer for Mac (10 MB)
Nokia Photo Transfer for Mac is a free app that connects your Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 with your Mac OS computer, and helps you transfer photos and videos between the two. The app is only available in English.
MACWindows Phone Connector
Download the Windows Phone Connector for Mac from Mac App store to synchronise media files with your phone and download phone updates.