The reason that the 5GHz WiFi band is disabled during flight (airplane) mode is comply with local regulations. There are regions in the world where the usage of the 5GHz band is not allowed to be used for WiFi transmissions. As the Lumia WP8 phones are unable to determine the location whilst in flight mode, the phones disable the usage of the 5GHz WiFi band in order to comply with regulations.
- My Lumia does not start up
- How do I know if an app or service is using my location info on my Lumia phone?
- Which Wireless LAN (WiFi) security standards are supported on my Lumia phone?
- How do I install a new keyboard input language in my Lumia phone?
- Does my Lumia phone use an IP address when it accesses data networks?