Does your network service provider charge you a fixed fee for data transfer or on a pay as you use basis? Change the Wi-Fi and mobile data settings to reduce your data costs while roaming and at home.
Using a Wi-Fi connection is generally faster and less expensive than using a mobile data connection. If both Wi-Fi and mobile data connections are available, your phone uses the Wi-Fi connection.
- On the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > WiFi.
- Make sure WiFi networking is switched to On.
- Select the connection you want to use.
Use a mobile data connection
- On the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > mobile network, and switch Data connection to On.
Use a mobile data connection when roaming
Connecting to the internet when roaming, especially when abroad, can raise data costs substantially.
Data roaming means using your phone to receive data over networks that your network service provider doesn't own or operate.
- On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings > mobile network, and switch Data roaming options to roam.