- Downgrade Rights
February 2011, Word Document, 90 KB
Explains the downgrade rights for the most commonly acquired systems License Terms granted by Volume Licensing programs and how they compare with original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and full packaged product (FPP) license rights.
- Microsoft Software License Dependency Reference Guide
May 2011, Word Document, 95.7 KB
A comprehensive list of Microsoft software licenses and dependent licenses (the "software stack") required under the terms of Volume Licensing programs.
- Product Cross Language Rights
May 2004, Word Document, 100 KB
Briefly explains how customers who acquire a license for specified software can switch to another language version of that same software.
- Reimaging Rights
February 2011, Word Document, 83.9 KB
Explains the rights that are granted to all Volume Licensing customers to copy software onto multiple devices from one standard image.
- Step-up Licenses
September 2010, Word Document, 147 KB
Outlines how customers who have Software Assurance can migrate from a lower edition to a higher edition software while maintaining their Software Assurance coverage on a given product.
- Base and Additive Client Access Licenses: An Explanation
November 2010, Word Document, 2.24 MB
An explanation of how server software that requires client access licenses (CALs) offers one base CAL to license access to server functionality and may offer one or more additive CALs.
- Licensing the Core CAL Suite and the Enterprise CAL Suite
March 2011, Word Document, 894 KB
Explains how the Microsoft Core CAL Suite and the Microsoft Enterprise CAL Suite can provide access rights for a number of server products and online services.
- Licensing Microsoft Software for System Center Server Management Suite Enterprise and Server Management Suite Datacenter
April 2010, Word Document, 91.1 KB
An explanation of the use rights of the Microsoft System Center Server Management Suite Datacenter (SMSD) and Microsoft System Center Server Management Suite Enterprise (SMSE).
- Licensing Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services
April 2008, Word Document, 137 KB
Helps clarify Microsoft licensing policies for Windows Server Terminal Services, including the components that are in the Windows Server 2008 operating system.
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 for Internet Sites
October 2010, Word Document, 2.40 MB
Information about the licensing of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 for Internet Sites including how to choose licenses and usage scenarios.
- Multiplexing—Client Access License (CAL) Requirements
October 2006, Word Document, 1.28 MB
Explains how multiplexing affects the licensing of server operating systems and server products licensed under the server/client access license (CAL) model.
- Per-Processor Server Licensing Changes
August 2004, Word Document, 80 KB
Provides a comprehensive guide to server licensing changes in the per-processor model that includes sample customer scenarios.
- Desktop Operating Systems—Licensing in Blade PC Environments
November 2004, Word Document, 286 KB
Provides an in-depth explanation of the licensing model for Microsoft desktop operating system software for blade infrastructures, including the Remote Desktop License.
- Licensing of Microsoft Desktop Application Software for Use with Windows Server Remote Desktop Services
July 2011, Word Document, 110 KB
Addresses the most commonly asked questions about licensing Microsoft Office in a Windows Server Terminal Services Remote Desktop Services environment.
- Licensing Microsoft Office Professional Plus for Office 365
June 2011, Word Document, 112 KB
Addresses commonly asked questions about licensing Microsoft Office Professional Plus for Office 365 through Microsoft Volume Licensing programs.
- Licensing Microsoft Office Software in Volume Licensing
June 2011, Word Document, 110 KB
Covers use rights for Microsoft Office for the Windows operating system acquired as a software product under a desktop application license (typically, a perpetual license).
- Licensing Windows and Microsoft Office to Use with the Apple Mac
October 2008, Word Document, 417 KB
Answers frequently asked questions about licensing the Windows operating system and the Microsoft Office system to run on an Apple Mac OS computer.
- Licensing Windows Client and Server Operating Systems in Multiuser Scenarios
February 2011, Word Document, 569 KB
Clarification of Microsoft Volume Licensing policies for the Windows client, Windows Server, and Windows MultiPoint Server operating systems when the potential for multiuser scenarios exists.
- Multi-Lingual User Interface (MUI) Language Packs for Windows Vista and Windows 7
May 2011, Word Document, 73.2 KB
Details licensing requirements for the Multi-Lingual User Interface (MUI) language pack available for the Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.
- Operating System License Requirements: Initial Operating System and Transfer of License
March 2008, Word Document, 72.2 KB
Provides a brief explanation of Microsoft operating system license requirements for initial operating systems, transfer of licenses, and reassignment of licenses.
- Work at Home Licenses
January 2007, Word Document, 104 KB
Provides answers to frequently asked questions regarding Microsoft Work at Home (WAH) products that are available through the Select License and Enterprise Agreement programs.