- Run enterprise applications on a trusted data platform.
- Preserve developer intent with new data-tier application packages.
- Deploy and extend database applications in the cloud.
- Enjoy high availability and minimal upfront costs with a hosted relational database.
- Build full-featured mobile and desktop client applications.
Deploy applications for servers, devices, and in the cloud with SQL Server. For online transaction processing and online analytical processing, take advantage of the high availability, scalability, and manageability of new premium editions of SQL Server 2008 R2.
For stand-alone and occasionally connected applications for mobile devices, desktops, and web clients, use SQL Server Compact, which is free to use and distribute. And, with Microsoft SQL Azure, build and extend database applications in the cloud with minimal upfront cost and tremendous potential for growth.
- Boost productivity with managed data access.
- Develop PHP applications that read and write data against SQL Server.
- Provide access from any Java application, application server, or Java-enabled applet.
- Enjoy tight integration with XML documents and data.
- Tap a range of databases and data sources with ODBC and ADO/OLE DB drivers.
With SQL Server 2008 R2, developers can choose the most appropriate technology for their requirements. Provide support for PHP applications, Java applications, and XML data with the continued commitment to interoperability that SQL Server 2008 R2 offers. For direct access to data, use native-code APIs, including ODBC, OLE DB, and ADO, with SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client. Or, boost productivity with the Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework, which provides a rich, uniform set of components for building distributed, data-sharing applications.
- Improve quality and productivity with an integrated data development platform.
- More easily interact with data through objects.
- Manage database change and simplify database deployment.
- Enable new types of solutions, including n-tier applications and data as a service.
- Enable user-generated and shared business intelligence tools in a secure manner.
Free developers to turn their ideas into impactful, data-driven solutions. Unlock the power of the Microsoft .NET Framework and more easily create applications that empower people to take insightful action.
Create departmental and enterprise applications faster by using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2 together for a more complete data platform. Gain more options for unlocking data and exposing it in ways that help people make better-informed decisions by using Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2.
- Easily build complex event-processing applications.
- Create compelling and useful applications using spatial data.
- Optimize performance with full-text search.
- Streamline development of powerful applications with new Transact-SQL features.
- Manage relational and nonrelational data.
Meet the most demanding enterprise application requirements more easily with rich development capabilities in SQL Server 2008 R2. Use Transact-SQL enhancements and rich data types to manage virtually any type of data, including spatial information, precise date and time, XML data, and external documents and files.
Optimize the performance of databases with a fully integrated full-text search, and manage and find data efficiently by using sparse columns and filtered indexes. Equip development team members with an integrated development experience by using Visual Studio 2010, the .NET Framework, and LINQ.
- Write, extend, and publish programs for the web with the .NET Framework.
- Choose the most appropriate language for projects, as SQL Server works with ASP, C, Java, and PHP.
- Eliminate software and hardware set up and management by hosting web applications in the cloud.
- Easily get started with SQL Server using migration tools and the Microsoft Web Platform Installer.
Enable cost-effective and scalable web applications with SQL Server 2008 R2, including PHP, Java, WordPress, and Drupal projects. Take advantage of migration guidance and free tools like the Microsoft Web Platform Installer, which includes the server, database, framework, and other elements needed to get started quickly.
For web projects of all sizes, SQL Azure offers a cloud-based relational database service built on SQL Server technologies, with pay-as-you-grow pricing. If you prefer to use a third-party hosting company, take advantage of the power of SQL Server 2008 R2 Web, which provides scalability and manageability at a low monthly cost.