The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit makes it easy to assess your current IT infrastructure for a variety of technology migration projects. This Solution Accelerator provides a powerful inventory, assessment, and reporting tool to simplify the migration planning process.
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is an agentless, automated, multi-product planning and assessment tool for quicker and easier desktop, server and cloud migrations. MAP provides detailed readiness assessment reports and executive proposals with extensive hardware and software information, and actionable recommendations to help organizations accelerate their IT infrastructure planning process, and gather more detail on assets that reside within their current environment. MAP also provides server utilization data for Hyper-V server virtualization planning; identifying server placements, and performing virtualization candidate assessments, including ROI analysis for server consolidation with Hyper-V. Learn more.
MAP is one of the tools provided by the Microsoft Solution Accelerators team. The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and Security Compliance Manager provide tested guidance and automated tools to help organizations plan, securely deploy, and manage new Microsoft technologies—easier, faster, and at less cost. All are freely available, and fully-supported by Microsoft. Learn more.
The MAP Toolkit includes the following components:
- Microsoft_Assessment_and_Planning_Toolkit_Setup.exe. Installation package containing the tool, release notes, Getting Started Guide and toolkit help (chm file).
- readme_en.htm. Available as a separate download. Provides information to read before installing the MAP Toolkit, including installation prerequisites and known issues.
- Getting_Started_Guide.en.doc. Provides information about toolkit installation, environment preparation, and assessment scenarios supported by toolkit wizards and the UI.
- MAP_Sample_Documents.zip. Available as a separate download. Contains sample reports and proposals.
IMPORTANT: MAP Toolkit 8.0 does not support database upgrades from previous versions of the toolkit. If you are currently using MAP Toolkit 7.0 and would like to continue to use that data, we recommend that you install MAP Toolkit 8.0 on a different machine or wait to install it once your need for this information has passed. If you have installed MAP Toolkit 8.0 and need to access information from a database created with a previous version, please contact MAPFDBK@Microsoft.com for more information.
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate
A computer with at least the following minimum configuration:
Note: Inventory, assessment, and reporting performance are based primarily on the speed of the CPU and the amount of available RAM.
- A dual-core 1.5GHz processor
- 2.0 GB of RAM
- 1 GB of available disk space
- Network adapter card
- Graphics adapter that supports 1024x768 or higher resolution. At 1024x768, using a DPI setting of more than 100% is not supported. At higher resolutions, DPI settings higher than 100% are supported.
- Operating system. Any of the following:
- Windows 8 (Professional and Enterprise editions only)
- Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions only)
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions only)
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2
- Note: MAP will run on either x86 or x64 versions of the operating system. Itanium processors are not supported.
- Update 2 for Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 (download from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2544514)
- .NET Framework 3.5SP1 (3.5.30729.01) (download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129686
- .NET Framework 4.0 (Full) (download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=186913
- Installation of all updates for the operating system. Note: In some cases updates may not install automatically. To download updates for your computer manually, go to
- By default, the MAP Toolkit will install SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB during setup. You may also use an existing installation of SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, or SQL Server 2012 if you create an instance named "MAPS" before running the MAP Toolkit installer. The MAP Toolkit requires the collation order of the database engine to be set to "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS".
To turn on Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack
1 on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 go to
Control Panel | Program and Features | Turn Windows
features on or off and then select Microsoft .NET
To install Microsoft .NET 4.0 full profile, download
Some of these prerequisites require restarting your computer. You may have to restart multiple times if all the prerequisites are not met prior to running Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit setup.
Installing the MAP Toolkit on a domain controller is not supported.
For machines that will be used to run the Forefront Endpoint Protection Usage Tracking or Lync Usage Tracking scenarios, please note: PowerShell 2.0 or higher must be installed.
For machines that will be used to collect Oracle schema information, please note: The Oracle client must be installed on the MAP machine to collect the schema information. If the client is not installed, MAP will only be able to collect instance information.
MAP Toolkit Support:
- Click the Download files below link in the Quick Details section near the top of the page to view the files to download.
- Download and read the readme.en.htm for installation instructions and known issues.
- Download and execute the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit setup wizard to install the Solution Accelerator.