Download SyncToy by clicking on the Download button below.
SyncToy Installation Notes:
- If upgrading from an earlier version of SyncToy (e.g. SyncToy 1.4 or SyncToy 2.0), it is **CRITICAL** to ensure that all folder pairs are fully synchronized using the previous version before running SyncToy 2.1 setup. Not following this guideline can lead to unintended behavior and partial data loss when running SyncToy 2.1 for the first time after upgrade. All folder pairs must also be fully synchronized at least once right after the upgrade is done.
Installation & Uninstallation:
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SyncToy2.1 are available as a single self-extracting archive executable which runs all of the required setup components when launched. The 64-bit version is targeted to 64-bit versions of Windows, e.g. Windows XP x64 Edition, Windows Vista 64-bit editions and Windows 7 x64 Edition.
- The 32-bit version may be installed and run on a 64-bit version of Windows as well.
- Simultaneous side-by-side installation of the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same machine is not recommended or supported.
- SyncToy 2.1 supports quiet installation by an Administrator user on the target machine. The steps for this are as follows. Please download the self-extracting archive executable and save locally. Extract files from the archive to a target directory. You'll notice 3 MSI files in the set of extracted files. Each of the 3 MSIs can be run in quiet mode using the MSI command line utility (msiexec.exe). The order in which the MSIs need to be installed is: Synchronization.msi, ProviderServices.msi, SyncToysetup.msi.
- SyncToy 2.1 depends on components of the Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 which are included in SyncToy setup. Installing SyncToy along with these dependent components requires the use of an account with Administrator privileges on the target machine. If the Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 components are already installed on the target machine, SyncToy can be installed from a non-administrator user account.
- The SyncToy application will stop working if any of the dependent components are uninstalled, which can be fixed by re-running the full install package on the target machine.
- If SyncToy 2.1 is installed using an account which is different than the one that was used to install previous versions of SyncToy, then the previous version will not be uninstalled. In this case, it is recommended that users uninstall the previous version using the previously used user account before installing SyncToy 2.1.
- If uninstalling SyncToy 2.1, the same user account must be used which was used for installation.