Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012 Update 1 is the newest version of MDT, a Solution Accelerator for operating system and application deployment. MDT 2012 Update 1 supports deployment of Windows 8, Windows 7, Office 2010 and 365, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2008 R2 in addition to deployment of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP.
Deploy Windows and Office 2010 with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 Update 1. MDT is the recommended process and toolset for automating desktop and server deployment. MDT provides you with the following benefits:
- Unified tools and processes, including a set of guidance, for deploying desktops and servers in a common deployment console.
- Reduced deployment time and standardized desktop and server images, along with improved security and ongoing configuration management.
Some of the key changes in MDT 2012 Update 1 are:
- Added support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 : Added support in MDT for deploying Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 with Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 , while supporting all new Configuration Manager functionality (offline BitLocker, UEFI, and Assessment and Deployment Kit).
- Support for DaRT 8 : Updated MDT to support DaRT 8 for Windows 8 deployments, while continuing to support DaRT 7 for Windows 7 deployments. Added DaRT support for Configuration Manager scenarios.
- New “Build Your Own Pages” User-Driven Installation (UDI) feature: Enhanced the UDI wizard and designer to enable IT pros to design their own wizard pages with little effort.
- New System Center 2012 - Orchestrator support: Provided the ability to add steps into an OS deployment task sequence to execute Orchestrator runbooks as part of the deployment process.
- Other improvements: Added support for Windows PowerShell 3.0, reworked Roles and Features installation logic for Windows 8, improved “boot from VHD” deployment scenarios, and added support for Configuration Manager monitoring.
Choosing the Right Version
MDT is available for x86 and x64 platforms. Select the version that corresponds with your host hardware type. Both versions of MDT 2012 support deployment of x86 and x64 Windows operating systems.
The original release of MDT 2012 Update 1 was version 6.1.2369.0 (Version 6.1 on this page), available for download on August 16, 2012. It added support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager RTM, Windows 8 RTM, and Windows Server 2012 RTM products. It can be identified as build 6.1.2369.0 in the MDT Workbench console and in the installer program properties.
MDT 2012 Update 1 version 6.1.2373.0 (Version 6.1.1 on this page) was made available for download on September 19, 2012 and adds support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager CU1 and System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 . It can be identified as MDT build 6.1.2373.0 in the MDT Workbench console or in the installer program properties. This is the latest version and we recommend all users run the latest version when they can to ensure the smoothest experience during future upgrades.
The What's New in MDT 2012 guide and Release Notes are available as separate downloads on this page for those who want to quickly evaluate MDT 2012. The full package of guidance is available in .chm format as part of the toolkit. For those who want it in Word format, a separate download is available in the Files in this Download list.
Send questions or feedback about MDT 2012 directly to us via http://connect.microsoft.com/.
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2012
- Supported operating systems MDT can deploy: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Embedded PoSReady 7, Windows Thin PC
- Supported operating systems MDT can migrate from: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Embedded PoSReady 7, Windows Thin PC
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007 or 2012 is required for UDI and ZTI; it is not required LTI.
- Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0 is required to run the Workbench and view the documentation on Windows XP.
Note MMC 3.0 is included in Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
- MDT 2012 Update 1 relies on several Windows deployment tools. After installation of the .msi package and startup of the Deployment Workbench, the user can choose to download and install the following major tools from the Components:
- Windows 8 Assessment and Deployment Kit
- Windows Automated Installation Kit
- Application Compatibility Toolkit
- MSXML 6.0
- If you are using ZTI and/or UDI, you are allowed to add the MDT SQL database to any version of System Center Configuration Manager with SQL Technology; if you are using LTI, you must use a separately licensed SQL Server product to host your MDT SQL database.
- Microsoft Word or Word Viewer (available as a free download) can be used to view Word documents.
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats (available as a free download) can be used to open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations in the file formats new to Microsoft Office.
- To start the download, select a file from the list of Files in this Download and then click Download.
- To run the .msi file from its current location, click Run.
- Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
- Follow the steps in the installation process to complete the installation.
- To start Deployment Workbench, look in All Programs in the Start menu for Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.
- Or, to save the .msi file to your computer for later installation, click Save.
- Save the contents of the .zip file to your computer by clicking Open and then extracting the guidance to the location of your choice.