This interoperability patch enables your SCDPM 2010 servers to be centrally managed using the Central Console feature available with SCDPM 2012. Once you have installed this hotfix, you can monitor and manage both SCDPM 2010 and SCDPM 2012 servers using the same console.
SCDPM 2012 RC now provides the capability for customers to manage multiple SCDPM servers using a single console. After applying this hotfix, SCDPM 2010 cutsomers can also monitor and manage their SCDPM 2010 servers using the same centralized management console with which they are managing their SCDPM 2012 servers.
Using the Central Console, you can monitor the health of the various SCDPM resources such as SCDPM servers, protected computers, tape libraries, disk space availability and more. The Central Console also tracks the various tasks in SCDPM servers, such as whether recovery points are being taken at the scheduled times, whether a server is still on the network, and so on. To understand Centralized Management feature in detail please refer to (Link to start page of SCDPM 2012 Centralized Management Value prop)
This hotfix does not contain any other fixes other than enabling Centralized Management feature.
- Note - This hotfix does not update the version of the SCDPM Protection Agents and hence will not require a upgrade of the agents installed on protected servers and clients. We recommend to install KB2465832 before installing this hotfix. Because once you install this hotfix, you cannot get previously serviced Agent side fixes along with KB2465832.
- Note- If you have created customized filters from Monitoring UI, they would not be retained after installing this hotfix.
So user needs to copy the file JobFilters.xml from DPMINstallLocation>\DPM\bin to the folder %SystemDrive%\Users\User name\appdata\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager.
- Note - This hotfix rollup package applies to all language versions of System Center Data Protection Manager 2010.
- Note- This hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix rollup package:
- To install this on a Data Protection Manager 2010 server that is running Windows Server 2008 R2, you must have the following hotfix installed:
2223201 Event ID 82 may be logged in the System log after you extend the protected dynamic volume on a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer
- To install this on a Data Protection Manager 2010 server that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, you must have the following hotfix installed:
2279787 Event ID 82 may be recorded in the System log after you extend the protected dynamic volume on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
This hotfix does not contain a patch for Agent Updates. So if you have not installed KB2465832 on your system, you would loose previusly released Updates to protection agents. Because if you install this hotfix, you can not install KB2465832 on top of it.
- The Central Console requires System Center Operation Manager 2007 R2 to act as the centralized management server for the SCDPM environment. We recommend that customers have a dedicated installation of SCOM 2007 R2 which is used only for centralized management of SCDPM. We support Windows server 2008 and Windows server 2008 R2 for installation of SCOM 2007 R2 to work as centralized management server for SCDPM.
- For centralized management scenarios to work, you need to download and install the centralized management components from SCDPM 2012 Beta. You need to install the central console server side and client side components to get centralized management scenarios working. For more details on setting up centralized management, refer to the install/help doc available with SCDPM 2012 Beta.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 Interoperability Hotfix for Centralized Management with System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 Beta contains two seperate updates -
- DataProtectionManager2010-KB2581742.exe which is a SCDPM server side QFE.It is going to update the SCDPM binaries to enable Central Console functionality.
To install the rollup package on the server that is running System Center Data Protection Manager 2010, run the DataProtectionManager2010- KB2581742.exe file on the SCDPM 2010 server.
NOTE: This QFE is a 64-bit exe and can be applied on 64-bit DPM servers.
- DPMManagementShell2010-KB2581742 which is the Microsoft System Center DPM Management Shell feature.
To Setup, please follow these steps:
- If the system already has Microsoft System Center DPM Management Shell installed please uninstall it from Add and Remove Program. To do that select Microsoft System Center DPM Management Shell and uninstall.
- Launch the correct version (32\64 bit ) dpmui.msi in the system.
NOTE: To install Microsoft System Center DPM Management Shell in a Fresh machine, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable needs to be installed.Refer to this link.http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=117778