Use the Word 2003 Redaction Add-in to hide text within Microsoft Office Word 2003 documents. You can mark text to redact and then create a new, redacted version of the document in which the marked text is replaced with a black bar that cannot be converted back to text.
Redaction is the careful editing of a document to remove confidential information.
The Microsoft Office Word 2003 Redaction Add-in makes it easy for you to mark sections of a document for redaction. You can then redact the document so that the sections you specified are blacked out. You can either print the redacted document or use it electronically. In the redacted version of the document, the redacted text is replaced with a black bar and cannot be converted back to text or retrieved.
Sensitive government documents, confidential legal documents, insurance contracts, and other sensitive documents are often redacted before being made available to the public. With the Word 2003 Redaction Add-in, users of Microsoft Office Word 2003 now have an effective, user-friendly tool to help them redact confidential text in Word documents.
Tips for using this add-in are available from Work Essentials, a resource that provides free occupation-focused expert advice, demos, templates, and webcasts.
- In a redacted document, the black bar that replaces the redacted text takes up the same amount of space as the original text so that line spacing and line breaks are unaffected. As a result, readers may be able to determine the length of a redacted word based on the size of the blacked out area. To help protect your redacted document from attempts to recover information by using word length, avoid redacting single words. If you need to redact a single word, you can replace it with a longer or shorter word before you select it for redaction.
- We recommend that you carefully review any documents redacted using this tool to confirm that all the information that you intended to redact was successfully redacted.
- In version 1.2 problems with .NET Framework 2.0 are resolved.
Supported Operating System
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2
This downloads requires the following .NET Framework programs:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.
This download works with the following Office programs:
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
To install this download:
1. Close Word.
2. If you use Word as your e-mail editor, close Microsoft Office Outlook and disconnect any portable devices that use ActiveSync.
3. Download the file by clicking the Download button (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
4. Double-click the RedactionSetup.msi program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Instructions for use:
After you install the Word 2003 Redaction Add-in, open Word 2003. The Redaction toolbar is open in the center of the screen. If you want, you can dock the toolbar at the edge of the window.
Use the buttons on the Redaction toolbar to mark sections of your document for redaction, create a redacted file, and find Help about using the Redaction Add-in.
We are interested in your feedback about this add-in. You can send feedback about this add-in by selecting the Send feedback link found on this page (above), within the add-in dialog boxes, and within the add-in Help information.
To remove this download:
1. On the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. In the list of currently installed programs, select Microsoft Office Word 2003 Redaction Add-in and then click Remove. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to remove the program.
4. Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the program.
Note: Word must be closed to uninstall this add-in.