You must register to receive this download. Please click the Continue button to register.
The CNG SDK contains documentation, code, and tools designed to help you develop cryptographic applications and libraries targeting the Windows Vista SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows 7 Operating Systems.
Welcome to CNG SDK release Version 2.0.
The documentation, code, and tools provided in this release are subject to change, and may be updated in the future.
What’s New in v2.0
This release of the kit highlights the following changes:
- Added an extensive Key Storage Provider sample.
- Updates to headers for Windows 7, including TLS 1.2 cryptographic provider support, and the smart card mini-driver interface version 7.
- Documentation on how to implement a kernel mode provider for Windows 7.
IMPORTANT: This version of the Windows CNG SDK is intended to support development targeting Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Window 7. This release of the Windows CNG SDK is compatible with Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 SP1 and Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2008.
This download contains CNG SDK content only.
The Windows CNG SDK includes content for application development with the CNG APIs in Windows Vista, Window Server 2008, and Windows 7.
Documentation: The Windows CNG SDK documentation contains API reference topics;
task-based, how-to documentation; and feature overviews to help you develop applications
using CNG APIs. Search, the Index, the Table of Contents, and the navigational
topics in the documentation viewer are all available to help you locate the topics you need.
Code: The Windows CNG SDK provides header files, libraries, and source code in the C/C++ language. All CNG SDK source code is
installed to the "Program Files\Microsoft CNG Development Kit" directory.
Tools and Build Environments: In order to build CNG sample applications, you will need the Windows SDK that includes more than 100 GUI and command-line tools to aid in the development of native (Win32) systems for the Windows platform. The tools include command-line compilers (both 32-bit and 64-bit), debuggers, performance monitoring applications, security management utilities, and much more.
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista
- The CNG code contained in this CNG SDK is designed to work on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7. Those features that only work on Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008, or only on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are called out in the documentation.
- You must uninstall previous Windows CNG SDK instances before installing this version.
- By default, the kit will install itself on “%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Microsoft CNG Development Kit” on x86 platforms and “%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft CNG Development Kit” on 64-bit platforms.
- We highly recommend that you have your machine fully patched through Microsoft Update before beginning setup.
For this release, the Windows CNG SDK is available as an Express Web Download
that enables you to launch setup over the web to install and download only the components you select during setup.
If you need additional information or assistance with installing or using the Windows CNG SDK, please visit the Windows SDK Forum or the Windows SDK team blog.
- The VCPROJ files for the samples have hard-coded paths to the CNG SDK header and lib files. If you install the kit in some location other than the default, you will need to change these project properties manually before you build with the Visual Studio 2005 IDE.
- If you plan to build the samples using Visual Studio 2005, be sure it is installed on your machine.
- If you plan to build the samples using Visual Studio 2005, make Visual Studio aware of the Windows SDK by going to the Start menu and clicking “Microsoft Windows SDK / Visual Studio Registration / Integrate Windows SDK with Visual Studio 2005”.
- If you plan to build the kernel-mode BCRYPT client sample, you also need the Windows Device Driver Kit. The Microsoft website explains how to get the WDK:
How to Get the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) .