The Portfolio Analyzer OLAP Extensions Solution Starter for Microsoft® Office Project Server 2003 includes documentation and samples for adding data and analyzing the cube, including task earned value, risks and issues, and pay period dimensions.
This solution starter shows how to add data from Project Server, as well as external data, to the Portfolio Analyzer cube, and how to create or modify views of the cube using Project Web Access. The documentation explains how to add new data dimensions to the cube from existing project view tables, how to extend the view tables and cube staging tables, and how to add data to the cube from external sources such as Microsoft® Windows® SharePoint™ Services.
The samples include three examples of extending the Portfolio Analyzer cube, with test applications and instructions on how to install the samples so that the extensions are executed every time the cube is updated.
The sample code and documentation in the solution starter includes the following:
- Adding a Pay Period Dimension: update the cube staging tables with additional data from Project Server view tables, manually add a dimension to the Portfolio Analyzer cube using SQL Server Analysis Manager, and add the pay period dimension to a view of the cube in Project Web Access.
- Adding Windows SharePoint Services Data for Risk Analysis: add a modified template for task issues and risks to SharePoint Services, extend the view tables and cube staging tables, and automatically populate the tables and create new risks and issues cubes whenever the Portfolio Analyzer cube is rebuilt. Add new views for analysis of risks and issues to the Portfolio Analyzer page in Project Web Access.
- Adding Task Information for Earned Value Analysis: add task earned value data to the cube. Add a new view to chart earned value fields such as task BCWP, ACWP, BCWS, and a number of other cost fields over time for a project portfolio, and also filter by the data by Enterprise Task Outline Code.
Note The Portfolio Analyzer OLAP Extensions Solution Starter is provided as a separate download; it will also be included in the Microsoft Office Project 2003 SDK download from the Microsoft Download Center.
Supported Operating System
Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
- This download works with the following applications:
- Microsoft Office Project Server 2003
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Project Web Access 2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 + Service Pack 5 (SP5)
To install this download:
Instructions for use:
- Download the file by clicking the Download link (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the pj11OlapExtensions.exe program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.The default installation directory is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003 SDKs\Microsoft Office Project 2003 SDK\Solution Starters
To install the download, double-click the pj11OlapExtensions.exe file in the directory where you saved it. The installer creates the directory OLAP Extensions in your installation directory, with the subdirectories PayPeriodDimension, TaskEarnedValue, and TaskIssuesRisks. The installation directory (default Solution Starters) also includes a backup copy of the self-extracting file OLAPExtensions.exe. To reinstall the solution starter, double-click OLAPExtensions.exe and follow the instructions
Each of the three samples is independent, and each includes some files with the same names as the other samples. The HTML Help file includes a discussion of what you would need to do to test and install more than one OLAP extension for Portfolio Analyzer.
To use the Task Earned Value extension, for example, the HTML Help file explains how to use the scripts in the TaskEarnedValue\Utils directory that extend the Project Server publishing query, and extend the view tables and cube staging tables. The TaskEarnedValue\OLAPDemoGroup.vbg is the Visual Basic project group that loads the test application project and the DLL project for the Task Earned Value OLAP extension.
To remove this download:
To remove the download file itself, delete the file pj11OlapExtensions.exe
To remove the installed files, delete the following from your installation directory:
- OLAP Extensions directory and related subdirectories and files