This update fixes a vulnerability that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. This update is recommended for all users who are using Virtual PC for Mac 7.0, 7.0.1, and 7.0.2.
This update fixes a vulnerability that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. This update is recommended for all users who are using Virtual PC for Mac 7.0, 7.0.1, and 7.0.2. For more information, please read Knowledge Base (KB) article KB 937986 on the Microsoft Web site at support.microsoft.com.
Applies to: Virtual PC for Mac 7.0, 7.0.1, and 7.0.2
Supported Operating System
Mac OS X
Before you can install this update, one or more of the following programs must be installed on your computer: Virtual PC for Mac 7.0 through 7.0.2.
In addition, your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:
Processor: 700 MHz native PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor (Intel processors are not supported)
Operating system: Mac OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar) or a later version of Mac OS. G5 processor requires Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4.1 to run Virtual PC for Mac.
Memory: 512 MB of RAM
Hard disk: 70 MB of available hard disk space is temporarily required to complete installation; after installation, the program requires 50 MB of hard disk space
Internet access: Internet connection through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply.
Tip If you're not sure whether your computer meets these requirements, see the System Profiler program included with the Mac OS. You can start System Profiler by double-clicking its program file in the Applications/Utilities folder on your hard disk.
Before you install this update
- Quit any other programs that are running, including virus-protection programs, because they might interfere with installation.
- Important Make sure that your Mac OS X user account has administrator privileges. (You must know both the user name and password for this account.) To check your user account for administrator privileges, on the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Accounts. User accounts with administrator privileges have the word "Admin" next to them. For more information about administrator privileges, see Mac Help.
To install this update
To remove this update
- Print this page if you want to use it as a reference when you are offline.
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
- Click the Download button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk.
If you are using Safari, the file is downloaded to the desktop unless you specified a different folder in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. (To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.)
If you are using Internet Explorer, the Download Manager saves the file to the desktop unless you specified a different folder in the Preferences dialog box of Internet Explorer. (To check your preferences, on the Explorer menu, click Preferences, and then click Download Options in the left pane).
- On your hard disk, double-click the file that you downloaded in step 4 to open the disk image.
Depending on the Web browser that you are currently using, this step might be performed for you automatically.
- Double-click Update Virtual PC to start the update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
The Virtual PC for Mac 7.0.3 Update does not include an uninstall feature.