Tools for developing custom SharePoint applications: Visual Studio project templates for Web Parts, site definitions, and list definitions; and a stand-alone utility program, the SharePoint Solution Generator. Please also download the User Guide and Samples listed in Related Resources.
Version 1.1 of the Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows SharePoint Services contains the following tools to aid developers in building SharePoint applications:
New to Version 1.1
- Support for "Web Solution Package" editing
- View and edit all solution content (no more hidden generated content)
- Create new Features and rename existing ones
- Reorder elements between Features
- Check for conflicts with existing Features
- Change Feature activation order
- Visual Basic support
- List Instance item template
- List Event Handler item template
- File System template (project file deployed to the SharePoint application file system)
- Bug fixes
Visual Studio 2005 Project Templates
- Web Part
- Team Site Definition
- Blank Site Definition
- List Definition
- Empty SharePoint Project
Visual Studio 2005 Item Templates (items that can be added into an existing project)
- Web Part
- Custom Field
- List Definition (with optional Event Receiver)
- Content Type (with optional Event Receiver)
- List Instance
- List Event Handler
SharePoint Solution Generator
- This stand-alone program generates a Site Definition project from an existing SharePoint site. The program enables developers to use the browser and Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer to customize the content of their sites before creating code by using Visual Studio.
Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (Basic installation only), or any product built on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, such as Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Visual Studio 2005 (Standard Edition, Professional Edition, or Team System)
Note Microsoft does not offer technical support for these extensions.
To install this download:
- If you installed a previous version of these extensions (either CTP or released), uninstall it before continuing.
- Ensure that the language of the extensions you intend to download is the same as the language of your installation of Visual Studio.
- Download the file by clicking the Download link (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the VSeWSSv11.exe file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Please also download User Guide and Samples for Visual Studio 2005 extensions for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- "SharePoint Solution" property editing
- The "SharePoint Solution" property tab from version 1.0 has been removed. You can now access solution properties by using the WSP View (see next item) and by directly editing the SharePoint XML files.
- "Web Solution Package" editing
- To edit a solution package in the user interface, click View, click Other Windows, and then click WSP View.
- To enable ASP.NET debugging
- Browse to the set of virtual directories for Windows SharePoint Services; for example, c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories.
- For each virtual directory
- Open the web.config file contained in the virtual directory.
- Change the line <compilation batch="false" debug="false"> to <compilation batch="false" debug="true">.
- Save the web.config file.
- Visual Studio
- The language of the extensions must be the same as the language of your installation of Visual Studio.
- If debugging (F5) does not work in Visual Studio, verify that ASP.NET debugging is enabled.
- Error message: "The language-neutral solution package was not found"
- This error is caused by a caching issue in Visual Studio. Restart Visual Studio to address the problem.
- Configurations not supported in this release
- Windows Server x64 Edition
- "Farm" mode in Windows SharePoint Services
- Content not supported by the SharePoint Solution Generator
- Some site and list templates, such as Wiki Site, Publishing Site, and Portal Site
- Lookup fields and custom field types
- Some site settings and list settings
- SharePoint workflow templates
- Workflow templates are included in the Windows SharePoint Services SDK for Visual Studio 2005.
- Visual Studio 2008 includes a rich development environment for SharePoint workflows.