Open XML Converter allows you to convert Open XML files that were created in Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac. This update contains several improvements to enhance stability and performance.
Open XML Converter allows you to convert Open XML files that were created in Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac. Open XML Converter can convert Word documents, Excel workbooks, and PowerPoint presentations that are in the Open XML Format so that you can open and edit the files in Office 2004 for Mac and Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.
This update contains several improvements to enhance stability and performance. In addition, this update includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, please visit the Microsoft Web site.
Supported Operating System
Mac OS X
Important To open converted documents, you must have Office 2004 11.4.0 or later, or Office v. X 10.1.9 or later installed on your computer. For the best experience, we recommend that you install the Office 2004 11.5.1 Update or a later update for Office 2004 for Mac.
To verify that you have installed the Office 2004 11.4.0 Update or a later update, select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in Microsoft Office 2004/Office on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info. To verify that you have installed the Office v. X 10.1.9 Update or a or later update, select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in Microsoft Office X/Office on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info.
Additionally, your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:
Note To verify that your computer meets these minimum requirements, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac.
- Supported Operating Systems: Apple Mac OS X
- Operating System Versions: Mac OSX version 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of Mac OS
- Print this page if you want to use it as a reference when you are offline.
- Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with the installation.
- Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
- Click Download, or click the link for the language version that you want.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
- Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 5 to place the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.1 volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.1 volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.
- In the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.1 volume window, double-click the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.1 application to start the installation process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the application installer from your hard disk. To remove the application installer, first drag the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.1 volume to the Trash, and then drag the file that you downloaded to the Trash.
This update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate, an application that can automatically keep your Microsoft software up to date. To use AutoUpdate, open an Office application, and then on the Help
menu, click Check for Updates
To remove this download
- If Open XML Converter is running, quit the application.
- On your hard disk, locate the converter application.
- Drag the converter application to the Trash, and then on the Finder menu, click Empty Trash.
- To remove your existing converter application preferences, in /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft, delete the com.microsoft.OfficeConverter.plist file.
To remove all converter files from your computer, in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft, delete the HV1.0, MAU2.0, and Office Converter Support folders. If other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac, Microsoft Messenger, or Microsoft Expression Media is installed on your computer, do not delete any of the files in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft because these files are used by other Microsoft applications.