This add-in takes full advantage of the latest Microsoft Office 2003 French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus public update released on 4/12/05 that brings these tools into compliance with the French Spelling reform of 1990.
With this add-in you can change the French spelling settings to take full advantage of the latest Microsoft Office 2003 French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus public update released on 4/12/05 that brings these tools into compliance with the French Spelling reform of 1990.
The complete French Spelling update requires two downloads: the first download contains the word lists for the spelling dictionary, thesaurus, and AutoCorrect (and is available from the French Spelling reform page on the Microsoft Office Online, France site.) The second download is this Office 2003 Add-in: French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus Settings that will provide a dialog box for setting French Spelling reform options. Be sure to download both parts to ensure that your spelling checker functions properly.
To determine if you need this spelling checker add-in
You can test if your spelling checker is compliant with the French Spelling reform. In a French language Word 2003 document, type the word bruler and then check the spelling. This is the correct spelling according to post-reform spelling rules. If it is marked as incorrect, then you should install this Office 2003 Add-in: French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus Settings download.
Supported Operating System
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
- This download works with the following Office programs:
- Microsoft Office 2003
- Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack
- Microsoft Office 2003 Proofing Tools
To install this download:
Instructions for use:
- Download the file by clicking the Download button (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the FrReform.exe program file on your hard disk to start the Setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
After you install this download, close all Office 2003 programs and then set the French Spelling reform options.
To set spelling reform options
To remove this download:
- Click Start, select All Programs, select French Spelling Settings, and then click French Spelling Settings.
- Choose one of the following options:
- To use spelling rules that pre-date the spelling reform of 1990, click Traditional spelling.
- To use spelling rules that are currently recommended by the French Academy of Language, click New spelling.
- To use both pre-reform and post-reform spelling rules, click Traditional and new spelling.
Note The default behavior is to consider both spellings correct because the two forms of spelling are equally valid. However, the New spelling option is recommended by the French Academy of Language.
To remove the download file, delete the file FrReform.exe
- On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- In the list of currently installed programs, select French Spelling Settings and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to remove the program.
- Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.