Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects provide additional functionality to build and deploy Web sites and Web applications in Visual Studio 2008. This add-in provides a comprehensive UI to manage build configurations, merging, and using pre-build and post-build tasks with MSBuild.
Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects is an add-in to Visual Studio 2008 which provides developers with advanced compilation and deployment options. A Web Deployment project is extensible, enabling web developers to create pre-build and post-build actions.
Web Deployment projects do not change the way Visual Studio 2008 Web Sites or Web Application Projects build. Instead, they take an existing Web project as input and generate a precompiled Web as an output. A Web Deployment project does not change the files in the source Web site project in any way either.
Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects has all the functionalities that Visual Studio 2005 Web Deployment Projects had. Developers can read more about this core functionality at Using Web Deployment Projects with Visual Studio 2005.
However, there are certain enhancements in this release. To learn more about this release, please visit the Visual Studio Web Developer Team Blog.
Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Required Software:
- Microsoft .NET Feamework 3.5
- Supported Visual Studio Editions:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition
Note: Web Deployment Projects are not supported with Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions.
Before you install, please verify the following on your system:
- Uninstall any pre-release versions of Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects (WDP)
- IMPORTANT: You will have to uninstall any pre-release version of Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects (WDP) that you might have installed on your machine. Many early adopters might have December 2007 CTP version of Visual Studio 2008 WDP already installed on their system. WDP pre-release versions have to be uninstalled before installing the RTW release of Visual Studio 2008 WDP. In support of the RTW version of Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects, the December 2007 CTP version will be retired and will no longer be available for download.
- Install the Required Software listed above
- Please ensure that required software listed above, such as .Net Framework 3.5 is installed on the machine before installing Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects. .Net Framework 3.5 can be downloaded from Microsoft Download Center.
In order to download and install Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects, please follow these steps:
- Ensure that .Net Framework 3.5 is installed on the machine. (See note above.)
- Click Download from this page
- Choose to either "Run" the file to run and install it directly, or choose "Save As" to save the download to a folder of your choice for later installation.
- If you choose "Save As", please note that you will need to run the downloaded file from the folder you chose to download it to, before you are able to use it.
In order to install and use the software in this release, you must accept the License Terms accompnying this release, and shown during installation.
We are interested in your feedback! Here are instructions on how you can provide it.
- Click here to submit feedback.
- Sign in using your Windows Live ID or Microsoft Passport Account.
- On the page, click "Submit Feedback."
- Search "Feedback" to see if the issue has already been submitted. If you find an issue similar to your own, you can validate and/or vote on the issue to increase its visibility. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
- Click the "Submit Feedback" button found beneath the search results table.
- You may submit either Bugs or Suggestions by selecting the proper feedback form.
- Make sure that you mention "Visual Studio 2008 Web Deployment Projects" in your Description field.
- Fill in the rest of the form to the best of your ability, and click the "Submit" button.
- We will contact you via your Windows Live ID / Passport email address once we have reviewed your issue.