Starter Group Policy objects (GPOs), introduced in Group Policy for Windows Server 2008, are collections of configured Administrative template (.admx) policy settings that you can use to create a live GPO. Each of the two packages in this download contains four starter GPOs.
Note: There are multiple files available for this download. Once you click on the “Download” button, you will be prompted to select the files you need.
Starter Group Policy objects (GPOs), introduced in Group Policy for Windows Server 2008, are collections of configured Administrative template (.admx) policy settings that you can use to create a live GPO. Each of the two packages in this download contains four starter GPOs. You can use one Starter GPOs package to create live GPOs that can be applied to clients running Windows Vista; the other package can be used to create live GPOs that can be applied to clients running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and later.
The Starter GPOs in the Windows Vista package are based on recommended settings for the Specialized Security— Limited Functionality (SSLF) and Enterprise Client (EC) environments, as documented in the Windows Vista Security Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74028).The Starter GPOs in the Windows XP SP 2 or later package are based on the same settings for the same environments, as documented in the Windows XP Security Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=14839).
Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- You must use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to manage Starter GPOs. The GPMC is included with Windows Server 2008 and with Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT). RSAT enables you to remotely manage roles in features in Windows Server 2008 from a computer running Windows Vista with SP1.
- You can download RSAT from either of these locations:
- The clients to which you apply the live GPOs that are created from Starter GPOs must run Windows Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later.
- Download one or both packages, as needed for your environment.
- Run the packages and install the files to a temporary location that is accessible from a computer that is running the GPMC.
- On a computer that is running the GPMC, open the GPMC. To open the GPMC, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Group Policy Management.
- In the GPMC console tree, click Starter GPOs in the domain in which you want to administer Starter GPOs.
- In the results pane, click the Contents tab.
- Click Load Cabinet.
- In the Load Starter GPO dialog box, click Browse for CAB.
- Click the name of the Starter GPO cabinet file that you want to install, and then click Open.
- In the Load Starter GPO dialog box, confirm that the correct Starter GPO cabinet file is specified, and then click OK.
- Note: If you click View Settings to view the report for a Starter GPO, the report that is displayed will not be localized (that is, the report will appear in English, even if a different language is enabled on the computer). To view the localized report for the Starter GPO, complete the import of the Starter GPO cabinet file, and then view the Starter GPO report from within the GPMC.
- On the Contents tab, confirm that the name of the Starter GPO that you installed appears in the list of Starter GPOs. The Starter GPO will be created in the shared SYSVOL folder found on domain controllers, in all 24 languages in which Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2 are available.
- Repeat steps 1 through 10 for all Starter GPOs that you want to install.
Each Starter GPO is available in the following 24 languages:
- ar-SA Arabic - Saudi Arabia
- cs-CZ Czech - Czech Republic
- da-DK Danish - Denmark
- de-DE German - Germany
- el-GR Greek - Greece
- en-US English - United States
- es-ES Spanish - Spain
- et-EE Estonian - Estonia
- fi-FI Finnish - Finland
- fr-FR French - France
- he-IL Hebrew - Israel
- hu-HU Hungarian - Hungary
- ja-JP Japanese - Japan
- ko-KR Korean - Korea
- nb-NO Norwegian (Bokmål) - Norway
- nl-NL Dutch - The Netherlands
- pl-PL Polish - Poland
- pt-BR Portuguese - Brazil
- pt-PT Portuguese - Portugal
- ru-RU Russian - Russia
- sv-SE Swedish - Sweden
- tr-TR Turkish - Turkey
- zh-CN Chinese - China
- zh-TW Chinese - Taiwan