Domain Specific Languages (DSL Tools) and Architecture Tools SDK for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. This SDK provides tools and templates for building Domain Specific Language designers, extending UML and Layer designers and the build tasks for code indexing. You can build your own graphical or form-based designers for Visual Studio 2012 and extend existing tools.
The Visual Studio 2012 Visualization and Modeling SDK includes
The SDK is not included in the Visual Studio 2012 SDK, but does require it to be installed first. The Visualization and Modeling SDK is installed as an overlay of Visual Studio and the VSSDK. It is a separate install so that it can be updated independently.
- MSBuild tasks that allow to index assemblies and PDB files as part of a build or from the command line. The code index is used by the Architecture Diagram but can be used on its own as well.
- Project templates that help developers create graphical or Form-based
(Windows.Forms and WPF) designers hosted in Visual Studio for viewing and
editing models for a custom Domain Specific Language.
- Project templates that help developers create extensions for the Architecture
Tools in Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate
- MSBuild tasks that allow you to do generate textual artifact at build time for any use of T4
- Reference assemblies and IntelliSense documentation for the DSL tools
runtime, which ships with Visual Studio 2012
- A migration tool helping DSL authors who were using the Visual Studio 2010 VsVmSdk
SDK to migrate their existing designers to work with Visual Studio 2012
- Header files containing Command IDs for the graphical designers and the
architecture tools (UML designers, Layer designer)
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008
- An operating system able to run Visual Studio 2012
- Visual Studio 2012 (except the Express edition. Also, note that to extend the architecture tools which are present in the Ultimate Edition of Visual Studio 2012, you'll need to have Ultimate installed)
- Visual Studio 2012 SDK
- On this page, click Download to start the download.
- To save the download on your computer so that you can install it later,
- To cancel the installation, click Cancel.
- You will be able to use MSBuild directly from the command line to load artifacts into a specified Repository. Read the usage instructions from the .targets file found in%programfiles%\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\Repository\
- Once you have installed the Visualization and Modeling SDK, you can start creating a new Domain
Specific Model project (using the New Project dialog | Other project types |
Extensibility | Domain Specific Model Designer), or to migrate an existing
Designer (run the DslProjectsMigrationTool.exe tool in Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VSSDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\DSLTools)
- You can also start creating a new extension (command, gesture, validation) for the architecture tools
using one of the templates from the New Project dialog | Modeling Projects | Extensibility)
- The menus and command IDs used to extend the architecture tool designers are available in \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VSSDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\Inc\ArchToolsCommandId.h