The Project Data Service (PDS) reference is updated for Microsoft® Office Project Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). The PDS reference includes documentation of the XML-based API, test tools, and code templates to help develop applications and components that access Project Server 2003 portfolio data.
The PDS reference explains how to use the PDS Application Programming Interface (API) to allow client applications to access Project Server portfolio data. Client applications can programmatically log on to Project Server and use SOAP to call PDS API methods. The PDS implements a SOAP listener, which receives method calls in XML format and returns an XML response.
The PDS reference includes sample code and information about the following.
- Using the PDS with Multiple Project Server Sites
- What's New in the PDS for Project Server 2003 (updated for timesheet methods in Project Server SP1)
- Using the Project Data Service
- The PDS and Project Server Security Architecture
- Writing a PDS Extender
- PDS Methods XML
- Using SOAP to call PDS methods
- Programmatic Logon to Project Server
- API Reference (updated timesheet methods)
- Service for Enterprise Data Maintenance (EDM)
- Error Codes (updated)
- PDS Permissions
- Field ID Values for Enterprise Custom Fields (updated with RBS)
Note This PDS reference is provided as a separate download for convenience. The complete Microsoft Office Project 2003 SDK download from the Microsoft Download Center also includes the PDS reference. For additional information on using the PDS, see the complete SDK download or the MSDN® online Microsoft Office Project 2003 SDK documentation.
Supported Operating System
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
- This download works with the following applications:
- Microsoft Office Project Server 2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 + Service Pack 5 (SP5)
- Microsoft Visual C# .NET, version 2002 (7.0)
- Microsoft Visual C# .NET, version 2003 (7.1)
To install this download:
- Download the file by clicking the Download link (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the PDSReference.exe program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation. The default installation directory is:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003 SDKs\Microsoft Office Project 2003 SDK
When you install this SDK, your installation directory will contain a subdirectory named PDS Reference that contains the following files:
Instructions for use:
- An HTML Help file, Project Data Service Reference for Microsoft Office Project Server 2003 (pj11pdsref.chm)
- A PDS Downloads subdirectory with the sample source code files
To install the sample code, double-click of the following files in the PDS Reference\PDS Downloads subdirectory, and follow instructions on the screen.
To remove this download:
- To remove the download file itself, delete the file PDSReference.exe.
- To remove the installed files, delete the following subfolder from your installation directory: PDS Reference.