To take advantage of the latest innovations that Exchange 2007 has to offer, Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition uses Exchange Web Services to communicate with Exchange Server. In this update, Entourage uses Exchange Web Services to provide several calendaring improvements. The update includes support for notes, tasks, and category synchronization with the Exchange Server.
Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition uses Exchange Web Services as the primary protocol to communicate with Exchange Server. In addition to several calendaring improvements, this new version of Entourage synchronizes notes, tasks, and categories with Exchange Server. This update also enables logging that can be used for diagnostic purposes. For detailed information about this update, see the Microsoft Web site.
Applies to: Office 2008, Entourage 2008, Office 2008 Special Media Edition
Supported Operating System
Apple Macintosh, Mac OS X
- Operating System Versions: Mac OS X version 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of Mac OS
Note To verify that your computer meets these minimum requirements, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac.
- Microsoft Exchange Server: Connectivity to Update Rollup 4 for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 (KB952580) or later version.
You can download this update for free from the Microsoft Web site.
Note Update Rollup 4 for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 (KB952580) must be applied to both the Mailbox server and the Client Access server roles.
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.3.5 Update: You can download this update for free from the Microsoft Web site.
Note To verify that you have installed this update, you can open any Microsoft Office 2008 application to check the version number. For example, open Word, and then on the Word menu, click About Word. In the dialog box, compare the version number next to Latest Installed Update.
To install this update
Caution If you want to go back to the earlier version of Entourage after you install Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition, you have to remove the complete Office 2008 application.
- Print this page if you want to use it as a reference when you are offline.
- Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with installation.
- Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
- Click Download, or click the link for the language version that you want.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop or your Downloads folder unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
- Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 5 to put the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.
- In the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition volume window, double-click the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition application to start the update process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the installer from your hard disk. To remove the installer, first drag the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition volume to the Trash, and then drag the file that you downloaded to the Trash.
You cannot run Entourage 2008 for Mac and Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition, on the same computer. Also, during the installation process, your Entourage 2008 identity is not imported or upgraded automatically for use with Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition. You must import from the existing identity. When you first launch the new version of Entourage, you will have the option to import your existing Entourage 2008 identity. For detailed information about this update, see the Microsoft Web site
To remove this update
Quit all applications before you run Remove Office
. Also, you must have administrative credentials on the computer to remove Office.
- Open/username/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/, and then double-click Remove Office.
- Follow the instructions to remove Office.
- On the Finder menu, click Empty Trash.
If you want to reinstall an earlier version of Office 2008 for Mac, you have to reinstall the complete Office 2008 suite from the Office 2008 for Mac disk. You will also have to import your Entourage 2008 identity from the archived Entourage 2008 database. You cannot use your Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition identity with the earlier version of Office 2008 for Mac.
If you have trouble installing this update or using Office 2008 applications after you install this update, try the following:
For additional assistance, see the Microsoft Web site.
- Make sure that the Microsoft Office 2008 folder is located in the Applications folder on the startup volume. If it is at another location on your computer, move it to the Applications folder on your startup volume, and then try installing the update again.
- Restart your computer and try installing the update again.
- Make sure that the user account you use to authenticate the update installer is an administrator account. For more information about administrator accounts, see Mac Help.
- Make sure that you downloaded the correct language version of the update for your copy of Office.
- If you rename or modify any of the files in the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, you cannot install product updates. To correct this issue, drag the Microsoft Office 2008 folder to the Trash, and then reinstall Office 2008 from your original installation disk.
- If you experience problems opening Office applications after you install this update, restart your computer. If you continue to experience problems after you restart, reinstall Office from your original installation disk, and then install this update again.