Before you install Windows Embedded Compact 7, do the following:
Step 1: Install Visual Studio 2008
- Back up important data and programs stored on your development computer
- Have your copy of the installation discs and the product keys available to use
Install Visual Studio 2008, including the Smart Device Programmability for Visual C++ if currently not installed. Both Professional and Team Edition platforms of Visual Studio 2008 are supported.
- Insert the first Visual Studio 2008 disc or click here to download a 90-day evaluation
- In the Visual Studio 2008 Setup dialog box, select Install Visual Studio 2008
- In the Welcome dialog box, click Next, and follow the instructions
Note: You may be prompted to change discs during the installation process if you are installing from DVDs. After installing Visual Studio 2008 you may be prompted to install the MSDN Library for product documentation.
This step is optional and the DVDs containing the MSDN Library are not included with the Windows Embedded Compact 7 toolkit. For the most current documentation visit http://msdn.microsoft.com
After the Visual Studio 2008 installation is completed, you will need to install Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1. To download this update, click here
for information and instructions.
Step 2: Installing Microsoft Expression Blend 3 (optional), required for using Silverlight for Windows Embedded
Step 3: Install Windows Embedded Compact 7
- Insert the Microsoft Expression Blend disc or download a copy here
- When the Welcome dialog box is displayed, click Next, and follow the instructions
Before you install the latest version of Windows Embedded Compact 7 and Platform Builder, you must first close Visual Studio 2008, uninstall earlier versions of Platform Builder and the Test Kit.
- Verify that you have administrative credentials on your development computer
- Note: You do not have to be logged on with administrator credentials to run the tools after installation is complete
- Run WindowsEmbeddedCompact7.exe
- When the Welcome dialog box is displayed, click Begin Install, and then follow the instructions
Note: During installation, the progress bar may not always accurately reflect the remaining time. Installation times vary depending on installation type and system performance.
Step 4: Install Windows Embedded Compact 7 extra components and related service packs
UPDATING WINDOWS EMBEDDED COMPACT 7
a) Installing WEC7 clean using an installer prior to Update 61 (SEP 2016)
- Review the release notes
- Install any required Microsoft updates or service packs
- Install any optional components that may be available
- Install optional or third-party components (if applicable)
b) Updating WEC7 prior to Update 61
- Install WEC7 prior to Update 61 with the desired options
- Once the installation has completed, obtain the Update61 (or later) installer from MOO, MyOEM or the Download Center
- Launch the obtained installer and it will update as normal to that version level
- Once the update has completed, subsequent updates (if any) will be detected as normal by the installer
c) Updating WEC7 with Update 61 or later
- Download the most recent installer from MOO, MyOEM or the Download Center
- Launch “WindowsEmbeddedCompact7.exe”
- This will start an update installation, proceed with the update installation
- Go to the update option from “Add or Remove programs” and select “Update” to successfully check, recognize and download any new available updates