Guide for installing, configuring, managing, and maintaining Windows SharePoint Services.
Important, before you download:
- If the topics in this file do not appear as you expect (you see "Page cannot be displayed" or "Action canceled," for example), see the Instructions section on this page.
- This guide is a compiled Help file and opens in HTML Help.
- This content is also available on the Web.
This Administrator's Guide applies to Windows SharePoint Services 2.0. For information about Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, see the Windows SharePoint Services Technical Library.
This version of the Administrator's Guide includes updates about using Windows SharePoint Services with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft Windows Server R2. The following topics are new:
- Installing and Configuring ASP.NET
- Migrating from WMSDE to SQL Server 2005
Updated topics include the following:
- Backing Up and Restoring Databases by Using the SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Tools
- Backing Up and Restoring Web Sites
- Backup and Restore Options for Windows SharePoint Services
- Changing the Application Pool Identity for a Virtual Server
- Configuring Two Virtual Servers to Host the Same Content
- Hardware and Software Requirements
- Installation Considerations for Windows SharePoint Services
- Installation Points for Windows SharePoint Services
- Installing and Using Service Packs for Windows SharePoint Services
- Introducing Windows SharePoint Services
- Managing and Customizing Search
- Managing Content Databases
- Managing Sites and Subsites
- Managing the Configuration Database
- Migrating and Upgrading Web Sites
- Migrating from WMSDE to SQL Server 2000
- Preparing Front-End Web Servers for Windows SharePoint Services
- Remote SQL Server Deployment
- Security Considerations for Server and Site Configurations
- Separate Active Directory Directory Service Organization Unit Deployment
- Server Farm Scalable Hosting Mode Deployment
- Single Server Deployment
- Troubleshooting Other Issues
- Upgrade Considerations
- What's New in Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 2
This download contains information about managing Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services, including:
- Deployment Scenarios
- Backup and Migration
Supported Operating System
Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Windows SharePoint Services requires Microsoft Windows Server 2003.
Known Issue: Text in file not appearing as expected
- Click the Download button in the upper right corner of this page to start the download.
- Click Save or Save this program to disk.
- Find the file on your hard disk and double-click it to open it.
If you installed Microsoft Windows security updates MS05-026 or MS05-001, the text in this file might not appear as expected. The messages "Action canceled" or "The page cannot be displayed" might appear.
To open this file to view the text:
- Click Download.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Save.
- Use the Save As dialog box to save the file to your computer.
- Find the file on your computer and double-click it.
- In the Open File dialog box, clear the Always ask before opening this file check box, and then click Open.
For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 892675