Build applications for Windows Mobile 2003-based Smartphones leveraging the Microsoft® .NET Compact Framework, Windows CE. NET 4.2, an improved emulator and new ATL support.
Microsoft SMARTPHONE 2003 SDK.msi
The Smartphone 2003 SDK enables application development for the newest Smartphone development platform. The Smartphone 2003 SDK enables developers to:
- Develop .NET applications for devices: The Microsoft® .NET Compact Framework is in ROM in Windows Mobile 2003-based Smartphones and enables a whole new host of benefits for developers, such as rapid application development, native XML Web services support, enterprise class connectivity and performance, and IDE support from Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET 2003.
- Leverage new core Operating System: Windows Mobile 2003-based Smartphones, like 2003-based Pocket PCs, run on Windows CE .NET 4.2, enhancing APIs and overall programmability.
- Develop, test and deploy applications faster: The emulation environment is more robust and now supports Windows Mobile 2003-based Smartphones with support for radio. The emulator also offers new features, including drive mapping, GAPI support and performance improvements. In addition, the new application security model includes a “prompt” mode.
Supported Operating System
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows XP
The following installation steps requires you to be logged onto to your computer using an account with Local Administrator privileges.
Please disable any script blocking programs before you commence installation of this SDK
Note: If you have already installed the Pocket PC 2003 SDK successfully and you are not installing a new development environment such as eVC 4.0 or Visual Studio .NET 2003 you may install the Smartphone 2003 SDK without following these steps.
Note: If you install the Smartphone 2003 SDK on a Visual Studio 2003 .NET development platform, and then decide to install Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 — you must uninstall and then reinstall the Smartphone 2003 SDK as well as any localized emulator images.
- Close All Programs, Remote Development Tools, and Emulators Before Proceeding
You should close the following programs before proceeding with the Smartphone 2003 SDK installation:
- eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0
- eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0
- Visual Studio .NET 2003
- The SDK also requires that you close the emulators provided with eMbedded Visual Tools, eMbedded Visual C++, or Visual Studio .NET. Under some circumstances the Windows CE Emulator, or related processes may continue to run even though it seems the applications have exited. It may be advisable to reboot your computer before proceeding with the installation to ensure no conflicts with existing running programs occur.
- Uninstall Previous Versions of the Smartphone 2003 SDK
You do not need to uninstall any version of the Smartphone 2002 SDK to use the Smartphone 2003 SDK, but any previous versions of the Smartphone 2003 SDK do need to be uninstalled. If you are upgrading from a previous version of the Smartphone 2003 SDK, after uninstalling the previous version but before installing the current version, run eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 and view the Help contents. After this is done, close Help and the eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 environment and install the new Smartphone 2003 SDK. This ensures that the latest Help documentation gets installed into the eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 environment.
- Install Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7.1
The Smartphone 2003 SDK requires ActiveSync 3.7.1 for application development and deployment using eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 or Visual Studio .NET 2003. You must first uninstall previous versions of ActiveSync before installing ActiveSync 3.7.1. If you do not have ActiveSync 3.7.1, you can download ActiveSync 3.7.1.
If you already have Visual Studio .NET 2003 installed, and then uninstall and reinstall ActiveSync 3.7.1, you will have to Repair your installation of Visual Studio .NET 2003 from Add/Remove Programs.
- Install eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 and Service Pack 3
In order to develop C++ applications using the Smartphone 2003 SDK, you must install Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 and Service Pack 3 before installing the Smartphone 2003 SDK. If you do not already have eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 or Service Pack 3 you may download them from the eMbedded Visual Tools Downloads and Samples Web page.
Note, installing eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Service Pack 3 on Windows Server 2003 causes a pop-dialog box to come up and prompt that one of the emulator drivers isn't signed. You should accept the unsigned driver and continue.
- Install Visual Studio .NET 2003
In order to develop applications in C# or VB.NET for Smartphone 2003, you must install Visual Studio .NET 2003 before installing the SDK.
Smartphone 2003 devices and the Smartphone 2003 Emulation images already contain the .NET Compact Framework.
For more information on Visual Studio .NET 2003 or the .NET Compact Framework, see the Visual Studio Home Page on MSDN.
- Install the Smartphone 2003 SDK
You can now proceed with the installation of the Smartphone 2003 SDK.
For updates, tools, and whitepapers please check the Microsoft Mobile Device Developers Web site.
- Click the Download link to start the download.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.