At Microsoft, we believe providing quality education to the 1.4 billion students around the world is essential to the future of our society. Effective, immersive learning experiences inspire students to demonstrate creative thinking. The right technology can transform and empower education, inspire learning anywhere, and unlock the potential of students, educators, and schools.
To help school leaders transform education for the 21st century, we are focused on providing resources that empower educators to:
- Inspire students to create and demonstrate critical thinking
- Learn anytime, anywhere
- Prepare students for their futures
- Transform and modernize schools and college campuses
The Microsoft in Education Transformation Framework is a guide for educators and leaders engaged in holistic education transformation. The critical conversations needed for effective transformation of education systems are the focus of this series. Each paper in this series presents a global perspective on the topic through the current thinking and evidence from research and practice, as well as showcase examples. Specifically, the papers document the contributions of anytime anywhere approaches to K-12 learning and explore the potential of new technology for transforming learning outcomes for students and their communities. Start by reading the Microsoft in Education Transformation Framework Overview Download the Transformation Framework Papers available to download as PDF files:
Transform and modernize your school or college campus. Microsoft offers enterprise-level IT solutions to empower schools and campuses to run efficiently. Solutions include:
Microsoft invests in research and development to support the work of teachers and education leaders. Microsoft partners with education agencies to pursue high yield practices amplified by current and emerging technologies. Read more about research projects and findings.
- Study Reveals Most Important Skills for Students Microsoft Office is one of the top skills required for tomorrow’s best jobs. Help educators provide students with the skills and tools they need for high growth jobs by using Office in the classroom. To ensure students can develop these skills, your school can get Office 365 Education available for free for students who are enrolled at qualifying schools. In addition, with Microsoft IT Academy, academic institutions and their educators, students, and staff get digital curriculum and certifications for technology skills at significantly reduced pricing.
- Microsoft Research Advances Computer Science and Education Microsoft Research is committed to building partnerships with academia to advance computer science and education. This effort extends our scope to include important new areas outside core computer science. These partnerships involve new types of strategic public-private collaborative endeavors with universities, such as research grants, conference support, Ph.D. fellowships, travel grants, and work with universities, institutions, and schools to disseminate innovative curricula. Read more about Microsoft Research.
- 21st Century Learning Design Rubrics The 21st Century Learning Design materials are the basis of a global professional development program for teachers and schools to develop more innovative pedagogies that develop students’ skills for the 21st century. The program is sponsored by Microsoft and continues to be supported in each country by a network of education partners. Read more and find more research findings including Measuring 21st Century Skills.
- Innovative Teaching and Learning Research Leaders around the world understand the need to prepare their youth for the future, a goal that requires a fundamental transformation of education and the integration of technology into teaching and learning. As part of our commitment to education transformation, Microsoft is supporting the Innovative Teaching and Learning (ITL) research project to contribute information and policy insights on effective education transformation.