When you are considering and interviewing candidates for a high school teacher position, use the following responsibilities and competencies to evaluate candidates. This information can help you identify people who are likely to be successful in this position.
When interviewing for a new high school teacher, look for a candidate who will be able to perform these primary responsibilities:
- Creates a positive, supportive learning environment
- Serves as a role model to students
- Is flexible and open-minded with respect to learning styles
- Establishes close relationships with students, parents, guardians, and community members
- Monitors student progress continually to determine interventions and next steps
- Prepares young adults to be responsible and independent citizens