Microsoft Corporate Logo Guidelines
As a general rule, third parties may not use the Microsoft® logo ("logo"). On this page are the limited circumstances under which third parties may use the Microsoft logo. The logo must always be used pursuant to the specifications on this page to identify Microsoft Corporation, or Microsoft products or services. Any use that falls outside of these specifications is strictly prohibited.
Third parties may only use the logo without a license only under the following limited circumstances:
- In advertising, marketing collateral, or a website that references your connection with Microsoft (e.g., the material states that you are an authorized distributor or reseller of Microsoft products) provided that the area in which the Microsoft logo is used includes the corporate logo of at least 1 other company with which you have a similar relationship.
- In an area of a website, advertising, or marketing collateral exclusively dedicated to the sale of Microsoft products, and in such a manner that associates licensed Microsoft software with the Microsoft logo.
Do not use the Microsoft corporate logo in products, product packaging or other business services for which a formal license is required.
The following guidelines must be followed for all use of the logo:
- Use only approved Microsoft logo artwork
- Use the positive version on light or white backgrounds. The full-color reverse logo may be used on dark color backgrounds, as well as dark areas within photographs.
- The logo is not accompanied by the registered trademark symbol (®).
- The symbol may not be separated from the logotype.
- A one color logo is only acceptable when media reproduction is limited. In these cases, the logo may be reversed to white on a background that provides suitable contrast. A black logo is allowed when media reproduction is black only.
- How to properly stage the logo
To properly stage the logo, a minimum clearance between the logo and other elements must be maintained. The cap height of the M in the logo indicates the measurement of minimum clearance between the logo and other elements on all sides of the Logo.
- Sizing the logo
The width of the logo must always be at least 70 pixels for on-screen or 1” (25mm) for print.
- What is required for the usage of the Microsoft's logo
- The logo may not be displayed as a primary or prominent feature on any non-Microsoft materials. Companies using the logo pursuant to these guidelines must also display in the primary and more prominent position, their own logo(s), business name, product names, or other branding.
- The logo may not be imitated or used as a design feature in any manner.
- The logo may not be used in a manner that would disparage Microsoft or its products or services.
- The attribution clause "Microsoft is a trademark of the Microsoft group of companies" must accompany use of the logo.
- Neither the logo nor the Microsoft name may be used in any other company name, product name, service name, domain name, website title, publication title, or the like.
- Non-Microsoft materials should not mimic any Microsoft advertising, product packaging, or website design.
- Additional requirements and examples of incorrect logo usage
- The logo must be used as provided by Microsoft with no changes, including but not limited to changes in the color,
proportion, or design, or removal of any words or artwork. The logo may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise
distorted in perspective or appearance.
- The logo must appear only in a horizontal position.
- The logo must stand alone and may not be combined with any other object, including but not limited to other logos,
words, graphics, photos, slogans, numbers, design features, or symbols. The logo must never be used to represent
the word "Microsoft" in text, including in a headline, product-name logotype, or body copy.
- The logo must not be incorporated or used in any manner as part of, or in close proximity to another company's
name, domain name, product or service name, logo, trade dress, design, slogan, or other trademarks. The logo must
never appear with any other symbol or icon, be contained within a box, circle, or other shape, or be combined
with any other name, logo, or icon to create a co-branded logo.
- The logo must be used as provided by Microsoft with no changes, including but not limited to changes in the color, proportion, or design, or removal of any words or artwork. The logo may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise distorted in perspective or appearance.
Microsoft reserves the right in its sole discretion to terminate or modify permission to display the logo, and may request that third parties modify or delete any use of the logo that, in Microsoft's sole judgment, does not comply with these guidelines or might otherwise impair Microsoft's rights in the logo. Microsoft further reserves the right to object to unfair uses or misuses of its trademarks or other violations of applicable law.