The reason that the 5GHz WiFi band is disabled during flight (airplane) mode is comply with local regulations. There are regions in the world where the usage of the 5GHz band is not allowed to be used for WiFi transmissions. As the Lumia WP8 phones are unable to determine the location whilst in flight mode, the phones disable the usage of the 5GHz WiFi band in order to comply with regulations.
- Which Wireless LAN (WiFi) security standards are supported on my Lumia phone?
- How do I install a new keyboard input language in my Lumia phone?
- How do I know if an app or service is using my location info on my Lumia phone?
- Can I play music files from my Lumia phone on my car stereo system?
- How do I install applications from the memory card on my Lumia phone?