The reason that the 5GHz WiFi band is disabled during flight (airplane) mode is comply with local regulations. There are regions in the world where the usage of the 5GHz band is not allowed to be used for WiFi transmissions. As the Lumia WP8 phones are unable to determine the location whilst in flight mode, the phones disable the usage of the 5GHz WiFi band in order to comply with regulations.
- Where do I get news about SW changes for Lumia phones?
- Can I move or save apps to my memory card on my Lumia phone?
- Which languages does Cortana support?
- How can I block phone calls and text messages (SMS) to my Lumia phone?
- How can I transfer my contacts, messages, calendar entries or photos to my Lumia?