Try the following solutions in order:
Connect your phone to your computer using an USB cable that came in the sales package and then swipe up on your phone's screen to unlock it. Normally, when your phone is detected by Windows, it should appear under Portable Devices in Device Manager.
Check to see that your phone shows up in Device Manager. To do this:
- Press the Start button, type Device Manager and press enter.
- Expand the Portable devices category.
Verify that Windows Media-support files are installed
If your computer has N edition of Windows operating system, you must install the Windows Media Feature Pack from the Microsoft Download Center:
- Download the Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 (KB968211)
- Download the Media Feature Pack for Windows 8 (KB2703761)
- Download the Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 (KB2835517)
Uninstall and reinstall the driver software
If problem still persists, continue the USB driver troubleshooting with the steps below:
- On your computer, press the Start button, type Device Manager and press enter (Note! Leave your phone connected to the computer while uninstalling the phone drivers).
- Expand the Portable devices and Universal Serial Bus devices categories and uninstall all devices relating to your phone with right click.
- A dialog will pop up asking you to confirm uninstallation. If you also have the option to delete the driver software, select that.
- Once you have uninstalled all of those; disconnect your phone.
- Reconnect your phone, and wait while the computer detects it.
- Go to Device Manager and check if your phone shows up in Device Manager.
Download and install your phone driver from the Windows Update Catalog
To install the driver software manually, follow these steps:
- Go to Microsoft Update download catalog page (link works only in IE) http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx.
- Search for Windows Phone WinUSB.
- Add the driver to the shopping basket and press view basket to continue the checkout.
- Download the file to your computer.
- Browse to the file you downloaded and extract downloaded .cab file with for example Winzip.
- In Device manager click Update Driver software, select Browse my computer for driver software, search for the directory you extracted the files and click Next.
- Reconnect your phone, and check the status in Device Manager.