Does your network service provider charge you a fixed fee for data transfer or on a pay-as-you-use basis? Change the Wi-Fi and mobile data settings to reduce your data costs while roaming and at home.
Important: Use encryption to increase the security of your Wi-Fi connection. Using encryption reduces the risk of others accessing your data.
Using a Wi-Fi connection is generally faster and less expensive than using a mobile data connection. If both Wi-Fi and mobile data connections are available, your phone uses the Wi-Fi connection.
- On the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Make sure Wi-Fi networking is switched to On.
- Select the connection you want to use.
Use a mobile data connection
- On the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > cellular, and switch Data connection to on.
Use a mobile data connection when roaming
Connecting to the internet when roaming, especially when abroad, can raise data costs substantially.
Data roaming means using your phone to receive data over networks that your network service provider doesn't own or operate.
- On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings > cellular, and switch Data roaming options to roam.
Tip: You can also follow your data usage with the data sense app.