Your phone notifies you when an update is available for you. You can also check for updates by going to Settings > Phone Update and tapping Check for updates. You can install the update immediately, or postpone the update to a more convenient time. See below instructions how to prepare your phone and more detailed installation instructions.
1. Before installation
Make some room. Great stuff comes in big packages! Before starting a software update, we recommend that you make enough space on your phone.
- You may need to have up to 1.5GB (depending on the phone model and software release) free phone memory to ensure that the software update goes smoothly.
- If you don’t have enough free space in your phone memory, you may be able to update the phone using a memory card. This is available for some of the phones running Lumia Denim (OS version 8.10.14219.341, or newer).
- To check the available free space, go to Settings > storage sense. You can find more detailed instructions on how to clear up space on your phone from the Software update FAQs-section.
Charge your phone. Before starting the update, connect to a charger or make sure your phone has enough battery power (at least 50%).
Be online. Your phone supports wireless Over the Air (OTA) updates and there is no need for cables or a computer; you can simply download and install the update using your phone.
- Use a Wi-Fi network to download the update and avoid mobile data transmission costs.
- Offline update is not possible.
Enable backups. Make sure your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound.
- The backup process is automatic, and it can be found under Settings > backup.
- On this screen you will find separate options for backing up you apps+settings, text messages and photos+videos.
2. Steps during installation
To view and to install the updates, tap the notification message, and follow the instructions shown on your phone. You can also check for updates by going to Settings > phone update and tapping Check for updates. You can install the update immediately, or postpone the update to a more convenient time.
- The update should take around 15-30 minutes, but a major update could take up to 2 hours to complete depending on your phone model and the number of apps you’ve got installed.
- You are not able to use your phone during the update installation.
- Follow all the update prompts, and do not worry if your phone restarts several times during the process, that is completely normal.
- Additional app updates from the Store could be needed to fully enable new features for your phone. You will get the app update notification on the Store app shortly after the software update.
- On phones that are running Lumia Denim (OS version 8.10.14219.341, or newer), you can also schedule to install downloaded software updates later from Settings > Phone Update > Preferred install time.
There can be several updates available for your phone, so you may need to repeat the process a few times to get to the latest version. Follow all the update prompts so that you don’t miss out on any of the latest goodies.
- To see your current firmware and OS versions, go to Settings > about > more information.
- To see your current software release, go to Settings > extras + info.
3. After installation
Keep your phone updated. By keeping your phone updated with the latest software you can get fresh new features and improvements, and resolve many issues.
Get prepared for Windows 10. We're working to make Windows 10 available to eligible Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1 as an upgrade. If your Lumia is eligible for the upgrade, we'll let you know when it's ready. In order to prepare your phone for Windows 10, you will need to have Lumia Denim (OS version 8.10.14219.341, or higher) installed. Read more about Windows 10.
Things didn’t go as planned? Not to worry, you are amongst friends. Consult the FAQ section below or seek answers in our Community.