Software Recovery Tool can help you to reset and recover your phone software at home, if your phone is experiencing software related or software update problems. With Windows Phone 8 models, you can also recover your phone in case your phone is not responding, it appears to be stuck, or it is not starting.
- Important! Using the Software Recovery Tool will erase all content stored on your phone, including apps and games (along with app data and game progress), text messages, call history, music, photos and more. If possible, you should back up your phone first (Settings > backup). You will be able to restore a backup once the recovery is complete.
- Note: The recovery process may take some time depending on your internet connection speed, and you cannot use your phone during the installation. The latest approved version of the software in your phone and model will be installed.
Prerequisites for your computer (PC):
- Microsoft Windows 7 or newer.
- USB cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- Minimum 4 GB free storage space.
Which tool should I use?
Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool for the HTC One and all Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8 or newer. For all other Nokia branded phones use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. To see which Windows Phone operating system (OS) version is currently installed on your phone, go to Settings > about.
Windows Device Recovery Tool (for Lumia phones and HTC One running Windows Phone 8 or newer)
- Download and install Windows Device Recovery Tool to your computer. If possible, make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged.
- When the installation has finished, start the application and the main screen will appear:
- If your phone is not automatically detected, disconnect all phones from your computer and press My phone was not detected at the bottom of the main screen.
- If prompted, select the phone manufacturer.
- Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable.
- Wait for your computer to detect the connected phone and follow the screen instructions. If the phone is not connected within one minute you can try to restart your phone: Keep USB connected, press and hold the Power and Volume down keys simultaneously. Release the pressed keys when phone vibrates.
- Press Install software to start installing the software to your phone.
Nokia Software Recovery Tool (for other Nokia phones)
- Download and install Nokia Software Recovery Tool to your computer. If possible, make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged.
- Start Nokia Software Recovery Tool, and connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable. If prompted, select the correct USB mode on your phone: Nokia Suite or Modem.
- Follow the instructions shown on the tool.