a. Disconnect your phone and other USB devices connected to your computer, and then restart your computer.
b. Make sure that your computer has a clear path to the internet to get the Windows updates.
c. Allow your computer install updates as they become available: Go to Control Panel > Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Change settings for accessing related options.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates.
- Note! If your computer does not have Windows Media Player, install the Media Feature Pack for your version of the operating system.
Reinstall your phone driver
a. Make sure that your phone has enough battery power, charge your phone for at least 20 minutes.
b. Start your phone without the memory card (if your phone has a memory card slot).
c. Connect a compatible USB cable first to the phone and then to the computer end. Enter your phone's lock screen password if prompted.
d. If your computer can detect your phone but cannot load the driver, continue troubleshooting with the steps below:
- On your computer, press the Start button, type Device Manager and press enter. Leave your phone connected to the computer while uninstalling the phone drivers.
- Expand the Portable devices and Universal Serial Bus devices categories and uninstall all devices relating to your phone with right click.
- A dialog will pop up asking you to confirm uninstallation. If you also have the option to delete the driver software, select that.
- Once you have uninstalled all of those; disconnect USB.
- Reconnect USB, and wait while the computer detects the connected device.
- Open Device Manager and check the device status.
Download and install your phone driver from the Windows Update Catalog
- Go to Microsoft Update download catalog page (link works only in IE) http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx.
- Search for Windows Phone WinUSB.
- Add the driver to the download basket and press view basket to continue the checkout.
- Download the file to your computer.
- Browse to the file you downloaded and extract downloaded .cab file with for example Winzip.
- In Device manager click Update Driver software, select Browse my computer for driver software, search for the directory you extracted the files and click Next.
- Reconnect USB, and check the device status.