Connect your Lumia phone to your PC using an USB cable that came in the sales package and then swipe up on your Lumia's screen to unlock it. Normally, when your phone is detected by Windows, it should appear under Portable Devices in Device Manager.
To check this:
- Press the Start button, type Device Manager and press enter.
- Expand the Portable devices category.
If you do not see your Lumia phone under Portable Devices, then try the following solutions:
Check your USB connection
You may try another port on your computer, but do not use a USB hub or the ports located on the front of your computer. Also, try another cable, if possible.
Verify that Windows Media-support files are installed
If your computer does not have Windows Media Player, install the Media Feature Pack for your version of the operating system.
Uninstall and reinstall the driver software
If problem still persists, continue the USB driver troubleshooting with the steps below:
- On your computer, press the Start button, type Device Manager and press enter (Note! Leave your Lumia phone connected to the computer while uninstalling the phone drivers).
- If you see your Lumia phone listed as Unknown Device next to a yellow question mark, double tap the unknown device to open the Properties window.
- Go to Drive tab, and select Uninstall.
- A dialog will pop up asking you to confirm uninstallation. If you also have the option to delete the driver software, select that.
- Once you have uninstalled all of those; disconnect your Lumia phone.
- Reconnect your Lumia phone, and wait while the computer detects it.
- Go to Device Manager and check if your Lumia phone appears under Portable Devices.
Download and install your Lumia phone driver from the Windows Update Catalog
To install the driver software manually, follow these steps:
- Go to Microsoft Update download catalog page (link works only in IE) http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx.
- Search for Windows Phone WinUSB.
- Add the driver to the shopping basket and press view basket to continue the checkout.
- Download the file to your computer.
- Browse to the file you downloaded and extract downloaded .cab file with for example Winzip.
- In Device manager click Update Driver software, select Browse my computer for driver software, search for the directory you extracted the files and click Next.
- Reconnect your Lumia phone, and check the status in Device Manager.