Add-on and pre-requisite files for Visual Studio 2010 to develop Silverlight 4 and RIA Services applications
This package is an add-on for Visual Studio 2010 to provide tooling for Microsoft Silverlight 4 and RIA Services. It can be installed on top of either Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Web Developer 2010 Express. It extends existing Silverlight 3 features and multitargeting capabilities in Visual Studio 2010 to also create applications for Silverlight 4 using C# or Visual Basic.
Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 includes several features:
- Support for targeting Silverlight 4 in the Silverlight designer and project system
- RIA Services application templates and libraries
- Support for Silverlight 4 elevated trust and out-of-browser applications and other new Silverlight 4 features, including
- Working with Implicit Styles
- Go To Value Definition lets you directly get to styles from your page
- Style Intellisense lets you easily modify styles
- Working with Data Source Window outputs
- Drag and drop from the data source window and see the data can, from which you can easily select and modify your data source information
- Add, remove, and re-sort DSW outputs using the Grid Row and Column context menu
- Move your controls around the form and change alignments in bulk using the margin editor
- Add sample data to see item templates and bindings at design time
- Working with Silverlight 4 Out-of-browser applications
- Automatically launch and debug your OOB app from inside the IDE
- Specify XAP signing for trusted OOB apps
- Set the OOB window characteristics
This download will install all components necessary for Silverlight 4 and RIA Services development:
Silverlight 4 developer runtime
Silverlight 4 SDK (software development kit)
Update for Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Web Developer Express 2010 (KB982218)
Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio 2010
WCF RIA Services V1.0 for Silverlight 4
F# Runtime for Silverlight 4
Please note, if you are looking for the Silverlight 5 Beta Tools installer you can find them here.
Supported Operating System
Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Visual Studio Requirements:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 with the Visual Web Developer feature
- Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express
Before installing Silverlight 4 Tools, you must:
The Silverlight 4 Tools package here will uninstall and update earlier Silverlight 4 & Tools components as necessary.
- Install Visual Studio 2010, and the Visual Web Developer feature must be included, or
- Install Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.
- This tools package will not work with the Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1, Beta 2, or RC releases. Pre-release editions of Visual Studio 2010 are no longer supported.
Uninstall the Silverlight 4 Tools Update
If you wish to remove Silverlight 4 and Silverlight 4 Tools update from your computer, you must manually remove the components that were installed:
- Microsoft Silverlight 4 Developer Runtime
- Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK
- Microsoft Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio 2010
- WCF RIA Services V1.0 for Silverlight 4
- F# Runtime for Silverlight 4
Note: if you wish to remove Silverlight 4 from your computer, you should uninstall all related components, including the developer runtime, the SDK, Tools, F# Runtime, and RIA Services. You may leave the Update for Visual Studio 2010 (KB982218) because it contains additional bug fixes and improvements in the WPF & Silverlight tools in Visual Studio.