Free software updates from Nokia make sure your phone is always up to date with performance improvements to things such as battery life and apps, new and improved functions and the latest versions of Nokia apps and services.
You can update your phone using the Nokia Suite software. In addition, you need a computer with an internet connection and a compatible USB cable. On most phones, you can also update wirelessly via the Software Update app on your phone. With Over the Air (OTA) updates, you don’t need any cables or computer, just download and install the update using your phone and an internet connection – using a Wi-Fi connection is best.
Nokia Belle range and other Symbian (S60) phones.
How can I update my Nokia phone?
It’s easy – just use the Software Update app on your phone or Nokia Suite on your computer to download the latest update for your phone. Software updates from Nokia are safe to install, and your settings, apps, photos, and text messages remain safe and sound. However, it is recommended that you create a backup before the update.
Software updates are free of charge, but to download the update, you need an internet connection, and data transmission costs may apply. For more info on the possible costs, contact your network service provider. To keep data costs down, we recommend that you use a Wi-Fi connection or Nokia Suite.
Update using the Software Update app on your phone
Step 1. For most phones:
- Select Menu > Applications > (Tools >) SW Update
Step 2. Select the updates you want to install, and follow the instructions shown on your phone.
Tip: It is recommended that you use a Wi-Fi connection for the update.
Update using Nokia Suite
To update your phone, you need Nokia Suite software on your computer.
Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable.
Start Nokia Suite, and select Tools > Software updates. Then select the updates you want to download, and select Install.
Before updating, use Nokia Suite to back up your phone, and you can be sure that your contacts, messages, calendar entries, tasks, web feeds, and other important stuff is backed up safely. The contents of your phone memory and memory card, such as photos and videos, are safe and won’t be affected during the update.
In the video we are using Nokia N8, but these instructions also apply to several other Nokia phones.
How can I check whether updates are available for my phone?
Update availability may vary depending on things like your phone model, region, and network service provider or carrier. There are 2 ways to find out about new software updates for your phone:
1. Use the Software Update app on your phone to check for new updates. You can also set the app to check for new updates automatically.
2. Nokia Suite notifies you of new software updates when you connect your phone to your computer.
How do I prepare for an update?
- It is recommended that you create a backup before doing a software update using Nokia Suite.
- When updating with the Software Update app, the size of an update package can be several megabytes, and therefore it is recommended that you use a Wi-Fi connection.
- Check that your phone is set to the correct date and time. With a wrong date or time, your phone won’t be able to access the updates.
- Before starting the update, make sure your phone has enough battery power. If the battery level is low, charge the battery before starting the update.
- Make enough space on your phone for the update. If necessary, remove some apps or other large items.
After the update, you can re-download apps from Nokia Store (look for them either in the app catalogue or under ‘My Stuff’).
What if I have trouble installing an update?
If you have problems during the software update, you can try our Discussions community to solve them.