Since the original Xbox came out in November 2001, its success has been led primarily by a box in the living room dedicated to delivering the best gaming experiences ever. But, now we live in a multi-device world. The millions of people enjoying entertainment on their Xbox are doing so within arm’s reach of another device. For more than a billion people around the world, smartphones and tablets have transformed the way we read, play games, communicate with friends, watch movies, listen to music, and explore the world. Given their popularity and ubiquity, we started thinking about how those devices could do more.
We believe your entertainment should travel seamlessly across devices and that those devices should work together to make the entertainment you love more accessible, creating entirely new experiences between your TV and smart devices.
With the launch of Windows 8, we were able to deliver on a connected consumer ecosystem across the TV, phone and PC/Slate. We now launch not just games, but also new music and video services designed for the multiscreen environment. This includes simple and powerful experiences for consumers including "buy once, play anywhere” and the ability with a push of a button to send content from the smart devices you already own to your TV via the Xbox 360.
is our approach to multi-screen entertainment. With Xbox SmartGlass we are focusing on two key objectives:
- Make discovering and controlling your entertainment simple, using the devices you already own (Windows 8, Windows Phone, iOS and Android devices)
- Ensure you get more from your entertainment experience
- Navigate your Entertainment – Your phone and tablet can become the best remote controls in your house. Use the touch screen on your smartphone or tablet to control your Xbox 360 and use your devices to pause, rewind, or advance entertainment.
- TV & Movies – With Xbox Video, start a TV show or movie on your Windows 8 tablet and finish it on the big screen through Xbox 360; see the names of cast and crew for the film you are watching and discover related films.
- Sports – While watching the game, use a second screen to follow real-time stats, player bios, news, and highlights you may have missed.
- Music – Control your Xbox Music experience on the TV using your smartphone or tablet, discover related artists and songs, cue up additional music, read artist bios and more. And take Xbox Music anywhere with Windows Phone 8.
- Internet Explorer for Xbox - With your smartphone or tablet, pan or pinch and zoom to explore the web on the largest and best screen in the house, enjoy easy text entry with the keyboard on your tablet or phone, and then move your browser back to your device to take it on the go.
- Games – Games get even better with Xbox SmartGlass. Get an aerial map view of your race route in Forza Horizon, tee up songs for Dance Central III or throw a curveball pitch in Homerun Stars, all directly from your phone or tablet.
Xbox now brings together multiple products (Windows 8 tablets and PCs, Windows Phone 8, Xbox, Bing and Internet Explorer, among others), spans multiple devices and operating systems (Xbox 360, Surface, Windows Phones, OEM PCs, Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android, among others), and it helps give people all the entertainment they want, across their favorite devices, wherever they are, easily.
As a result of this effort, we rapidly accelerated the reach of Xbox entertainment from 70 million consoles to literally hundreds of millions of devices worldwide. We have also taken our biggest step ever to increase our global reach, extending Xbox entertainment experiences to 222 countries from 35 only a year ago.
This is the future of entertainment. And it’s available now.