|PRODUCT USE RIGHTS REVISIONS WITH NEW RELEASE OF MICROSOFT SQL SERVER 2014|
On April 1st Microsoft made SQL Server 2014 generally available for download and purchase, delivering a powerful set of capabilities for mission-critical workloads, business intelligence and hybrid cloud. While there is no pricing change with this new release, we are making a few minor changes to our licensing.
Revised Product Use Rights for SQL Server 2014
The product use rights for SQL Server 2012 have changed in these two scenarios:
The three SQL Server 2014 editions, Standard, Business Intelligence, and Enterprise, continue to share the same licensing model.
- For paid editions of SQL Server 2014, a passive secondary instance is only permitted with Software Assurance. The rights to install and run a passive ‘fail-over’ server with SQL Server 2012 were granted at the license level. With SQL Server 2014, the passive ‘fail-over’ server rights are moving to a SA benefit.
- SQL Server 2014 Business Intelligence comes with relaxed multiplexing rules for ‘pooled’ data sources, and waives the CAL requirement for those data sources.
SQL Server 2014: Integrated, easy to use, low cost of delivery
New features in SQL Server 2014 include:
SQL Server 2014 is also available in a Windows Azure virtual machine, so customers can get in-memory technology working in minutes in the cloud.
- In-Memory Online Transaction Processing (OLTP): Formerly known as project codename “Hekaton,” the new in-memory capabilities for OLTP built into SQL Server provide on average 10x and up to 30x performance improvement.
- In-Memory Columnstore (DW): First introduced in SQL Server 2012, the in-memory columnstore can now be updated, enabling read and writes to the data warehouse with ultra-fast query speeds and higher data compression rates.
- New hybrid scenarios enabled for Windows Azure, including simplified backup to Windows Azure and the ability to setup a Windows Azure Virtual Machine as an AlwaysOn secondary, providing cost-effective disaster recovery with quick recovery time.
Find out more in the SQL Server 2014 Datasheet.
Evaluate SQL Server free for up to 180 days.
For More Information
Talk with your Account Manager or Reseller for more information.
| Visit the|
Microsoft SQL Server website
Read the SQL Server blog
Explore what's new with Microsoft cloud-based solutions
|SOFTWARE ASSURANCE BENEFITS|
| Combining the latest software with training, 24-hour phone support, affiliate services, and IT tools, Microsoft Software Assurance (SA) helps you get the most out of your software investment, including Planning Services to help you successfully deploy the latest products and services. For SA benefits help, please call (866) 230-0560, or go to the|
SA benefits website.