Windows Server AppFabric is a set of application services focused on improving the performance and management of Web, Composite, and Enterprise applications. To deliver these benefits, Windows Server AppFabric provides a hosting, management and monitoring environment for distributed caching, services and workflows that utilize familiar .NET skills.
Windows Server AppFabric has the following core capabilities:
Windows Server AppFabric provides a highly scalable in-memory application cache for all types of data. With distributed caching, your application can match growing demand with increasing throughput by using a cache cluster that automatically manages the complexities of load balancing, scale-out, and failover.
With the caching features of AppFabric you get:
- Scalable in-memory, distributed cache for any serializable data
- Seamless integration with ASP.NET
- High availability and dynamic scale-out of cluster nodes
- Optional local cache with eviction policies
- Cache change subscriptions and notifications
Service and Workflow Management
Windows Server AppFabric makes it easier to build and manage services built using Windows Workflow Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation. The AppFabric management tools are integrated into IIS, and can be used to deploy, manage, and control your services. In addition, AppFabric adds capabilities to Windows Server that provide more resilient and scalable services.
With the service and workflow management features of AppFabric you get:
- Simplified deployment and configuration of services
- Visibility into services to understand health and workflow state
- A complete hosting environment for long-running workflows, including persistence
- A familiar experience with integration into the Windows Server Application Server role and Visual Studio tools, PowerShell, and System Center