By Martin B. Isaksen, DoD Chief Technology Officer at Microsoft
Microsoft Lync 2010 is now JITC certified for use in the Department of Defense. The Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC) is the sole certification authority for Unified Communications in the Department of Defense. The DoD Unified Capabilities (UC) APL is established in accordance with the UC Requirements (UCR 2008, Change 3) document. Its purpose is to maintain a single consolidated list of products that have completed Interoperability (IO) and Information Assurance (IA) certification. Use of the DoD UC APL allows DoD Components to purchase and operate UC systems over all DoD network infrastructures.
Microsoft Lync 2010 is a consolidated software based Unified Communication platform that combines the communication functionality of:
1) Presence – Find colleagues status instantly
2) Instant Messaging – IM for quick conversations
3) Desktop/Application Sharing – Present all applications in meeting attendees
4) Web Conferencing – User training for new applications and collaboration
5) Audio Conferencing – Reduce costs by bridging Audio conferences over IP
6) Video Conferencing – HD video conferencing at a fraction of HW based system costs
7) XMPP Gateway - XMPP interop gateway between SIP and XMPP domains
8) PBX functionality – Eliminate costly legacy based PBX systems and maintenance
9) Built-in Remote Access – Encrypted “VPN-less” access included
10) Mobile Access – Encrypted access from all cell phones including Windows Phone, iOS, Droid, and Blackberry
11) QoS Monitoring and Reporting – QoS Reporting and Call Detail Records (CDR) for all UC conversations
12) IM Archiving – For government and DoD compliance
13) IVR – replace expensive legacy based interactive voice response (IVR) systems
14) Skills Search – Find employee skills instantly from Active Directory and SharePoint
15) Location Services – instantly communicate with colleagues using automatic location tracking
Microsoft Lync is has been selected as the UC market leader by Gartner for 6 straight years and featured in the Forrester Total Cost of Economic Impact whitepaper with TCO savings up to 337%.
The Microsoft Lync 2010 JITC UC APL is located here on DISA UCCO APL web site.